Sound quality of Apple devices getting worse

Soldato
I have just found my iPod shuffle 512mb 1st gen in my room. It's not been used for maybe 3 years yet it still has charge - green level charge.

Listening to it with my Sennheiser earphones, it sounds a lot better than my iPhone SE and rather worryingly, even better than my housemates iPhone X! How can a device from 2005 that was not even expensive then be better than a phone costing over £1000, 13 years later?

Soldato
It used a SigmaTel D-Major STMP3550 processor. Other than the noise/hiss its generally regarded as one of the best sounding of all the iPods, and many MP3 players.
They die pretty easily with a known flashing light bug/death. I had two both died with this. Great sound. I currently have two 4th gen Shuffles I think they sound great, with not much hiss. I don't know if they are better than the original as I don't have one to compare.

A lot of other shuffles and ipods and iPhone I've tried didn't sound great at all. Same with Android Phones. Many audiophiles don't use the headphone out of their iPod/iPhones for this reason. They use a digital out, external DAC.

Back
Top Bottom