Sounds like a dying starter motor?

Associate
Car has been getting slower to crank when starting for the last few weeks, to the point where it almost sounds like it isn't going to turn over at first now.

Battery is showing a healthy 12.6-12.7v when engine is off, 14.5v when engine running. It's also only 2.5 years old so I can't imagine that being an issue. Alternator was replaced last year as it was playing up, but with the battery receiving 14.5v that seems fine.

So that leads me to thinking it's the starter? In fairness it's still the factory part so 15 years and 110k miles under its belt. Anyone else got suggestions? Or validation that I'm on the right track?

Associate
You have jumpleads? Put one between battery +ve & the starter +ve terminal, & the other between battery -ve & starter casing & see if it makes a difference. That'll rule out bad connections & grounding.

Associate
OP
Well, after barely getting home (took 5 attempts at cranking), I tried starting the car again at home and it didn't even make a noise. Dead. All electrics working fine but no dice from the car.

Anyway, installed the new one and all is well again. Original BMW Denso part, 15 years service isn't too bad I guess!

Back
Top Bottom