Sourcing Good Body Panels For My Audi A8

Associate
Hi Guys

I need to sell my 2010 Audi A8 4.2 TDI , its the last of the D3 models. I have a dent in my boot lid and my rear bumper. It could work out costly to get it repaired properly, i will be paying for it privately. I was thinking of buying the panels myself if i can get mint ones and in the right colour. I have looked on ebay but i had not joy. So can you tell me any ways i can use the internet to find the parts i need. Is there a decent site that helps you find the parts if you put in all your details. Just thought i would ask. Cheers . ;)

Soldato
Finding decent panels can be difficult as they tend to get scratched in storage. You need to find someone breaking a car.

Soldato
The other problem is that the colour may not match exactly even if they had the same paint code. A mate had this when he changed one of his doors - it was close but if you looked at it you could definitely tell it was different to the rest of the car.

Associate
OP
The other problem is that the colour may not match exactly even if they had the same paint code. A mate had this when he changed one of his doors - it was close but if you looked at it you could definitely tell it was different to the rest of the car.

Thanks for your reply. Thats a good point, i suppose it might matter more if it was a door but hopefully it would be ok if it was the boot lid and the rear bumper. You run the risk of not getting a perfect match even with painting. ;)

Finding decent panels can be difficult as they tend to get scratched in storage. You need to find someone breaking a car.

Thanks for the reply. I know what you mean any panels you see advertised on ebay usually have scratches. ;)

Associate
OP
Would replacing really be cheaper?

It would involve more work by me but it would avoid a sub-standard repair job. It would all depend on buying the panels for the going rate, i see some places will charges extortionate prices, there's no point in paying those high fees. I was watching a bumper on ebay, it was £175 and it was the right colour but it had some scuffs, the seller has bumped it up to £250 ha ha.

One guy who does mobile repairs quoted £100 for the bumper and £150 for the boot lid, i dont have enough room for his massive tent though. I have no idea how good his workmanship will be. This is a good price IMO but maybe i would not be satisfied with the finish. Im new to where i live now and dont know anyone and im unable to seek recommendations.

A repair garage in my local town quoted £300 for the boot lid and £265 for the bumper.

Soldato
Is it only the front end that has Aluminium on the A8 and if not does the cheap quote guy realise?

If the above is not relevant then the colour of your car would sway my decision about whether to go with the cheaper guy. A black or dark blue should not be hard for them to get right. Silver I'd be worried unless I could see other work.

Associate
OP
Is it only the front end that has Aluminium on the A8 and if not does the cheap quote guy realise?

If the above is not relevant then the colour of your car would sway my decision about whether to go with the cheaper guy. A black or dark blue should not be hard for them to get right. Silver I'd be worried unless I could see other work.

The body shop guy mentioned that the boot lid was aluminium and therefore more expensive to fix, im not sure if the cheaper guy knows this, he never mentioned it. My car is dark blue., its official name is aqua blue.

20190116-142412.jpg

20190116-142353.jpg

20190116-142356.jpg

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Why bother if you're selling it? It's less hassle to just price accordingly surely; the value won't be much much less if everything else is in orded will it? It just makes the car more honest to a potential buyer and the damage is easily explained rather than trying to hide it via repair.

Associate
The whole car is aluminium on an aluminium space-frame. It should not make any difference to this kind of repair though. Will they need access behind to tap it out a bit?You might save some money by removing the boot lid liner and even that aluminium bar that holds the number plate lights and camera. (4 screws from behind and has a rubber gasket that will need washing).

I get what Dup says, but on these cars, people are fussy and also you are immediately restricting what may already be a small buyer-base even more.

Last edited:
Soldato
I can only go by heavier industry, but I know that we take multiple times longer to work Aluminium than steel as it's much easier to make a real mess of it - I assumed (rightly or wrongly) that this applies to cars too even a small spot repair

Associate
OP
Why bother if you're selling it? It's less hassle to just price accordingly surely; the value won't be much much less if everything else is in orded will it? It just makes the car more honest to a potential buyer and the damage is easily explained rather than trying to hide it via repair.

I was thinking of seeing how selling it would go but i think the kind of buyer who is looking for this kind of car wont be interested in it the way it is. The alloys are also scuffed on the outer rims so altogether the damaged wheels and body let the car down badly.

I can only go by heavier industry, but I know that we take multiple times longer to work Aluminium than steel as it's much easier to make a real mess of it - I assumed (rightly or wrongly) that this applies to cars too even a small spot repair

Thanks for your reply ;) I had heard this too but i was not sure about the reason for it. ;)

The whole car is aluminium on an aluminium space-frame. It should not make any difference to this kind of repair though. Will they need access behind to tap it out a bit?You might save some money by removing the boot lid liner and even that aluminium bar that holds the number plate lights and camera. (4 screws from behind and has a rubber gasket that will need washing).

I get what Dup says, but on these cars, people are fussy and also you are immediately restricting what may already be a small buyer-base even more.

Thanks for your reply ;) I got the quotes via email and i sent them some pics and a video so i dont know what access they will need,. I dont mind removing some parts if it can cut the cost. My alloys are badly scuffed on the outer rims so the body damage and alloys together let the car down badly. I agree people looking at this kind of car might not be interested (in its current state ) unless i gave it away for a bargain price.

Soldato

That's my view too, it's nearly a 10 year old car, it won't be unusual to have a few scuffs/scrapes/scratches/dings etc.

I'd personally check out what other 2010 A8's are selling for, and compare the conditions with price ranges, that'll at least give you some idea if it's worth faffing around with the repairs.

Associate
OP
That's my view too, it's nearly a 10 year old car, it won't be unusual to have a few scuffs/scrapes/scratches/dings etc.

I'd personally check out what other 2010 A8's are selling for, and compare the conditions with price ranges, that'll at least give you some idea if it's worth faffing around with the repairs.

Thanks for your reply. Its not any 10 year old car though. Its not quite a banger or a cheap car by any means, i paid 10k for it 16 months ago. Its hard to say whats its worth now as its quite a rare car with the 4.2 tdi engine. Maybe £8k to £8500 in good condition but i cannot be sure. There are plenty of 3.0tdi. I have always found the 'guide' prices are never accurate either.

Associate
OP
What’s the difference in price between what yours is worth now, and what it’s worth mint?

Thanks for your reply. I doubt i would make any more out of it. I did think of trying to sell it the way it is and see how it goes. I also feel guilty for letting the car get into this state, so in a way i would rather fix it. The cheaper quote would suit me more but im unsure how good the workmanship would be.

Back
Top Bottom