South African flight costs

Caporegime
I'm looking to book a flight (return) to South Africa next spring but have no idea of average costs of flights, they seem rather expensive compared to other similar lengthen flights. What should I be looking at paying as I may have to get them quick as a couple of them seem to have gone up by about £500 in the last week...

Associate
Are you flying to Cape Town, or Jo'Burg?

I've flown to Cape Town every year for the last 7 years. My flights ranged from about £550 (cheapest) to about £850 in economy. although I've flown premium economy with both Virgin and BA for around £1200.

You can get cheaper flights with the middle eastern airlines (Ethiad, Qatar, Emirates etc), but you have to fly via their respective hubs, so the flight is a lot longer (20 hours +, when direct to cape town is 11-12 hours).

Direct flights are with Virgin and BA

Caporegime
OP
I'm looking to do an Open Jaw ticket, land in J'burg and leave from Cape town which makes it more complex (and more expensive) but having an idea of flight costs to begin with is useful! Any reason the prices range from 550-850? Time of year? booked in advance etc? Thanks

Associate
Well, yeah, time of year I went, and how far in advanced I booked. Also, the cheapest was 7 years ago, and there have been lots of fuel duty increases since!

Have you been to SA before? You're going to have a fantastic time

Back
Top Bottom