Spain vs Portugal in UHD HLG

Soldato
agree wrt sky cost,
but otherwise (don't usually defend murdoch - he steals from relations) their uhd is par for the course 15Mb/s movies and 30Mb/s for live sport (rec709 8 bit as opposed to bbc 10bit)
netflix have talked about fancy codec options (better on faces...) to reduce bandwidth needs a bit, but there are not many ways to skin a cat.

Soldato
(between goals) they are also broadcasting 4k/hlg in france and many folks have the same comments about poor brightness & sombre colours.
[https://assistance.canal.fr/questio...qualite-hdr-hlg-decodeur-canal?answers_page=4
https://communaute.orange.fr/t5/ger...canal-48-et-question-HDR/td-p/1587661/page/5]

so blame the Russians ??? Has BBC commented ???

eg.
@ Jade 22 ...
I have the same problem as you with my tv Samsung QLED QF55 2017. The picture is still as dull and dark, having tried everything possible settings (HDR + HLG enabled and disabled in the menu of the TV) Nothing fact !!!! the picture is much more beautiful on channel 131 in HD of Bein Sports 1 .....

edit
https://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/tech/innovation-strikes-at-world-cup/5129982.article
LOL

UHD HDR

Around 75% of the live match cut is estimated to be in full UHD HDR, with the remainder up-converted. All replays, for example, will be up-converted from HD “with minimal visual impact on the UHD feed due to the natural softness derived from the slowmotion angle”, advises Fifa.

Viewers of each format will see slightly different coverage. The main UHD camera in a central pitch mid-height position will be framed wider than the regular HD main shot and automatically substituted on the UHD HDR feed every time the coverage cuts to the main HD position.

“The UHD shot is too wide for the HD feed, distancing the viewer from the story,” says Fifa. Aside from more picture detail, the wider frame of the UHD camera will offer a “new view of team tactics and options within the match”.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think people need to understand what HDR actually does before they complain. Ofcourse parts of the picture will be duller, all of that dynamic range is no longer being compressed and averaged out like SDR. The pitch is in shadow and the stands are in direct sunlight? Guess what, they're different brightnesses! Looks great to me, the superior framing allowed by the higher resolution and the greatly improved colours are upgrade enough let alone the natural appearance HDR allows.

Soldato
lol - even if the panoramic shots had a wide dynamic range to accomodate the highlights and shadows (did people think about whether they would be sitting in 30c sun when they booked their seat)
the zoom in shots should have been mastered with a lower range so that the shirts and the grass were not washed out, the studio shots were poor too.
... but hopefully bbc will comment and fix it for wimbledon.

Caporegime
The goal is to look accurate & natural, not bright & saturated. Reminds of the complaints some people voice after getting their TVs calibrated.

This, I initially thought it was dull as well until I realised why it's like that, dynamic contrast on the LG OLED's (2017 models onwards) should be on low in HDR modes to activate Active HDR, you can only really get away with having it off in a completely dark room. Medium/High setting definitely oversaturates, your eyes probably prefer how it looks but it's nowhere near accurate.

ITV really need to sort out their stream quality, surely a decent bitrate 1080 service is cheap enough to do, even if just for the world cup games.

Last edited:
Soldato
The goal is to look accurate & natural, not bright & saturated
of course - there are multiple comments I posted where people agree it looks wrong,
the distance shots are understandable (as I had said) but for the zoomed in shots the colours do not seem correct (vs if you were viewing with binoculars)
now maybe these zoomed images are all up-hdr'd&scaled, because those are producer selectible from the many=29hd/sdr cameras as opposed to the 8uhd/hdr cameras, in each stadium.

The lack of meta-data in hlg means the dynamic range is fixed, unless the tv analyses individual frames (active hdr) and deploys the tv's dynamic range more accurately for zoomed in shots, which do not need the same highlights, a picture including the sky might need

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Samsung 55" MU7000 here, and it looks bloody great, just a shame its about a minute and a half behind!

Soldato
Where is that option

as Ayahuasca suggested
Set [Dynamic Contrast] to "Low"

this tutorial is interesting
Active HDR: SMPTE ST 2094-10 dynamic metadata adaptation for consistent visual
however it discusses it in the context of hr10 and not hlg

edit - think i can link below.. above link slides are excellent ... more interesting than the match ?

0dh.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom