Rate the 2021 Spanish Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
We aren't talking about what you would base the championship on though are we?

Well, I don't know. You said you wouldn't base "anything" on it, so I was poking a spot of fun with a request for clarification ;)

Do you think Red Bull suddenly thought Perez was getting the better of Max because he was ahead of him in the standings for a bit earlier in the year?

That was after the 3rd race (Australia) alone, wasn't it? Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't George been ahead of Lewis in the championship since the end of race 2? And has finished ahead of Lewis at 4 of the 5 races held so far?

As I said, I don't think this tells the whole story. As you noted we've had safety cars throw things for a loop. But at some point you might have to wonder if George isn't doing a slightly better job overall than Lewis and that's why he's leading him in the standings?

Soldato
I mean, RB are up at the front of the pack with their car whilst AM are at the back. So the design has not been a lift like the pink Merc was. There'll always be a natural convergence of ideas over time, but teams have worked on these cars for ages already... just whinging spice keeping himself busy.

Caporegime
Well, I don't know. You said you wouldn't base "anything" on it, so I was poking a spot of fun with a request for clarification ;)

That was after the 3rd race (Australia) alone, wasn't it? Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't George been ahead of Lewis in the championship since the end of race 2? And has finished ahead of Lewis at 4 of the 5 races held so far?

As I said, I don't think this tells the whole story. As you noted we've had safety cars throw things for a loop. But at some point you might have to wonder if George isn't doing a slightly better job overall than Lewis and that's why he's leading him in the standings?

Yes , at some point (ie end of season). Not after 5 races in a temperamental car.

At the moment, the points situation is solely down to Lewis' awful luck with the safety car/bad luck in general.

In actual pace and performance, they are fairly equal, with possibly Lewis having edged it in race pace.

Caporegime
On the AM and Red Bull thing, they are ridiculously similar to the point where its obvious ideas or knowledge were shared. I mean the wing mirrors are virtually exactly the same too!

I refuse to believe both cars ended up looking like that with zero knowledge of what each other was doing.

Soldato
Knew I shouldn’t have thrown that grenade comment in about George and Lewis :p

I’m a Lewis fan and always have been don’t think that I’m in the haters club that certain members on here love to be a part of!

And I know that there has been luck with safety cars etc in the races which has imbalanced the scoreboard in Georges favour but I do still think the Merc is working better for him than Lewis.

I wouldn’t blame Lewis if his heart wasn’t 100% in it this season. Was robbed blind of his 8th world title and now has to deal with being in an also ran car against a hungry team mate. If he’d have known in December the car would be third best I reckon he’d have walked away at the end of last season.

Soldato
I think it's time for F1 to ditch the chicane at Barcelona. All it does is space the cars out more, and the off-camber corner preceding it is even worse. I know why they moved away from the two sweeping corners, but with the new cars clearly better at following they've really got to revert to those corners.

Or, ideally, just ditch Barcelona full stop.

I mean, RB are up at the front of the pack with their car whilst AM are at the back. So the design has not been a lift like the pink Merc was. There'll always be a natural convergence of ideas over time, but teams have worked on these cars for ages already... just whinging spice keeping himself busy.
Force India spent all winter "designing" and developing their Pink Mercedes, while they've been back and forward with this design if they did indeed evaluate this concept in November (giving them the benefit of the doubt).

Obviously, if they did explore a similar route last year then this isn't all their own design. They saw similar working very well at Red Bull, but if you take away the double-downwash then there are clear differences, albeit apparently mere tweaks of Red Bull's ideas.

I think it's a positive for AM that they've introduced such a massive change that they're pretty much where they've been all season - getting on top of it over the next few races will determine whether it was the right choice or not.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
I think it's time for F1 to ditch the chicane at Barcelona. All it does is space the cars out more, and the off-camber corner preceding it is even worse. I know why they moved away from the two sweeping corners, but with the new cars clearly better at following they've really got to revert to those corners.

The former, certainly. Ditching Barcelona entirely... it's a straightforward race to get to for fans in the UK and Europe, there's plenty to do around it (or, at least, not wildly far from it). Besides, what d'you replace it with? Valencia was bloody awful. The cars have massively outgrown Jerez. No-one's going to build a new track for F1 outside of the oil-rich countries/the dictatorships/the oil-rich dictatorships who want to use the sport to enhance or cleanse their reputation on the world stage.

Man of Honour

Force India spent all winter "designing" and developing their Pink Mercedes, while they've been back and forward with this design if they did indeed evaluate this concept in November (giving them the benefit of the doubt).

Obviously, if they did explore a similar route last year then this isn't all their own design. They saw similar working very well at Red Bull, but if you take away the double-downwash then there are clear differences, albeit apparently mere tweaks of Red Bull's ideas.

I think it's a positive for AM that they've introduced such a massive change that they're pretty much where they've been all season - getting on top of it over the next few races will determine whether it was the right choice or not.

They announced earlier in the week that they're looking at dropping the chicane for 2023, however the "old" layout despite it still being there doesn't actually currently hold an FIA Grade 1 license so it needs to be homologated before it can be used.

Caporegime
Knew I shouldn’t have thrown that grenade comment in about George and Lewis :p

I’m a Lewis fan and always have been don’t think that I’m in the haters club that certain members on here love to be a part of!

And I know that there has been luck with safety cars etc in the races which has imbalanced the scoreboard in Georges favour but I do still think the Merc is working better for him than Lewis.

I wouldn’t blame Lewis if his heart wasn’t 100% in it this season. Was robbed blind of his 8th world title and now has to deal with being in an also ran car against a hungry team mate. If he’d have known in December the car would be third best I reckon he’d have walked away at the end of last season.

It's no so much of a grenade comment, just one that didn't really make sense when combined with reality, unless you solely look at the points board and nothing else.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
It's no so much of a grenade comment, just one that didn't really make sense when combined with reality, unless you solely look at the points board and nothing else.

You have to admit Jono, points seem to matter less to Hamilton fans when he's got fewer of them and matter more when he's comfortably leading championships ;)

Aaaaaaanyway...

Here's hoping for a return to winning ways for Leclerc. Or a first win for Sainz. Race weekends should end with the Italian anthem :cool:

Soldato
Just seen on Sky that they have had to bodge Max's rear wing/DRS. Looking at it it looks they have replaced carbon or covered it in epoxy of some kind.

Don't know how that can be classed as the same spec anymore and not break parc ferme

Soldato
Just seen on Sky that they have had to bodge Max's rear wing/DRS. Looking at it it looks they have replaced carbon or covered it in epoxy of some kind.

Don't know how that can be classed as the same spec anymore and not break parc ferme
Because such fixes are allowed provided you can demonstrate that it was broken or expected to break. It's not like they've removed an element from the wing, they've literally added weight and made the wing less inefficient.

Teams do this routinely every weekend.

Soldato
On the AM and Red Bull thing, they are ridiculously similar to the point where its obvious ideas or knowledge were shared. I mean the wing mirrors are virtually exactly the same too!

I refuse to believe both cars ended up looking like that with zero knowledge of what each other was doing.
Every SUV on the road looks virtually identical designed by a dozen different manufacturers. I wanna see some proof of espionage by AM, where is it?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Watching F1TV and Norris is spewing at the side of the track at the moment :eek:

Soldato
Sounds very hot. Might benifit merc with their slower tyre warm up. Ferrari might struggle. It seems they can get the tyre turned on quickly but can't make it last like red bull. Think max will cake walk it unless something breaks on his car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom