Speaker cable

Associate
I've got an Onkyo amp and speaker set up, unfortunately the supplied cables aren't long enough for the rear speakers.

Can anyone recommend any decent yet cheaper cables?
What do I need to look for so that I don't get any loss of sound

Associate
Any will do, they all sound the same but if you want the reassurance of a brand name then Black Rhodium's Twist is only £3.50 a metre and feels well made.

Soldato
I posted a similar question in my thread about the Onkyo. The rears are not long enough, well one isn't. I have just replaced my z5500 with the hts 3505 and for the z5500 I bought new speaker cable for same reason. I think it is 18 gauge I believe and two bits of it are 12m long, this be ok to use? The standard cable is very thin on the onkyo. Not sure what gauge the standard speaker cable is.

Soldato
I can safely say it does make a difference, I recently had a home demo of Chord Epic expecting it not to sound any different, sadly it was noticeably better than my cable (Atlas Equator) so I had to spend a fair sum of money to upgrade.

However for rear speakers I wouldn't be too worried, any fairly decent OFC copper will be fine.

Permabanned
The Van Damme Blue and QED's are pretty much well regarded in the home cinema scene. You can always find some left over reels after a home cinema installation from the bay. Or go down the mogami, beldin, cannare cable route (Blue Jean Cables).

Soldato
Were you meant to spend 10 or 15% on interconnects in your hi-fi? I forget now! Unless I spent a fortune on rears and associated amplification I don't think I'd even go as posh as QED silver anniversary.

Also, how is that ebay speaker cable loud?

Back
Top Bottom