Speaker placement

Soldato
Going to put a 7.1 system into the following size room.

7.14m x 3.66m

Any tips on speaker placement for ideal positioning?

Display
50" 1080p plasma

Main speakers
3 way and 5 speaker bass-reflex system. Rear ported. Floorstander

Center speaker
3-way sealed box

Side speakers
2 way, 4 driver, ported bipole wall mountable
or
3 way, 5 driver sealed box dipole wall mountable

Rear speakers
2 way, 4 driver, ported bipole wall mountable
Don't think speakers on the far rear wall will work- can't place equally window and door in the way so I think side wall maybe best.

Subwoofer
Sealed box, 13.5"

If I place the TV/speakers along the 3.66m bottom wall...

1) How far from the wall sides and wall would be ideal for the main speakers.
2) What viewing distance from the 50" would be ideal (placement of sofa)
3) What position of the side bipole or dipole speakers would be ideal, in height and distance from front wall
3a) Which would function best dipole or bipole.
4) What position of the rear bipole speakers would be ideal, in height and distance from front wall
5) What position of the subwoofer would be ideal.

The four bipoles are matching brand and model but the dipole are different brand.

Don
I'll bite then...

The room is a horrible shape with inconvenient placement of windows and doors, and you would unlikely be happy with any room correction performed by the AVR.

Probably best to forget 7.1, and just go for a high quality 2.0 system.

Don
Based on ideal viewing distance for a 1080P 50" (1.5-2.2M), would probably be better putting the TV and Sofa on the 7.14M walls

e.g.
fmRg1ET.png

Or something like:
PyybeQx.png

You are going to have to compromise somewhere, and trust in the AVR to do some room correction

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
cheers. First one looks ok apart from right side will have to be on a stand. Second one rears on stands, and unsure if speakers, tv will fit due to the door - as not to scale. Also sub placement.

Don't have any room EQ except for a antimode 8033cinema.

Room has fireplace where your 1st picture is- where the TV. The room used to be one big room, lounge, and dining it's been converted into one big room, so upper left wall has chimney box sticking out (boarded up) It's all neat and painted. Won't know exact dimensions where the they stick, how much etc until I move in.

I was thinking something like this

Drawing up room with speakers,TV and sub to scale in room arranger will update

Soldato
OP
Room width & length is correct, speakers, sub, stand is correct size as well.

However cut into walls, fireplace, size and position of doors windows is not accurate just going by guess with photos

Soldato
Isn’t that horrible placement for the rears? They need to be set inwards behind the sofa for correct 7.1. That room can only really fit 5.1 unless you stand mount the rears.

Soldato
OP
Those side and rear are bipoles. I could use regular speakers as I have some speaker stands.

But I'd rather use bipoes because they are wall mounted so will look better and take up less space wont get in the way won't have speaker trailing along the floor.

Associate
What I learnt about sub placement is that a corner is rarely a good place,

Put the subwoofer in the listening position (on the sofa), put the test sound on, then crawl around the floor in the potential positions to hear where it sounds best.

In my room it became really boomy in the corner

I put it to the side of the sofa in the end, see bottom right - it would have been pretty good along most of that wall, like where the wooden box is - but this was also a convenient option for furniture placement
https://cookhousestory.wordpress.com/#jp-carousel-1492

Associate
What I learnt about sub placement is that a corner is rarely a good place,

Put the subwoofer in the listening position (on the sofa), put the test sound on, then crawl around the floor in the potential positions to hear where it sounds best.

In my room it became really boomy in the corner

I put it to the side of the sofa in the end, see bottom right - it would have been pretty good along most of that wall, like where the wooden box is - but this was also a convenient option for furniture placement
https://cookhousestory.wordpress.com/#jp-carousel-1492

I do wonder, is it best to flick the 180 invert switch on a sub when it's besides the couch pointing toward the tv?

Back
Top Bottom