Speakers too Loud with Preamp

Associate
Hi all,

I've got these active speakers that are hooked up to a preamp for volume control.

The problem is when the speakers are set at 0db, the preamp will max out the speakers with hardly any knob turn. Starting at 7 o'clock, it'll max out the speakers at around 10 o'clock. Hardly any room to adjust volume.

As soon as I take the speakers into -db, it distorts like crazy with the preamp.

Any solution to this?

Soldato
Why no details on the equipment? There's obviously a problem with the combination you've created. With the information provided, you can only expect generalisations and guesswork.

Associate
OP
Why no details on the equipment? There's obviously a problem with the combination you've created. With the information provided, you can only expect generalisations and guesswork.

I meant to include details but somehow forgot.

Schiit Bifrost Multibit -> JDS Labs OL Switcher -> iLoud Micro Monitors

Soldato
What happens if you go from DAC direct to the speakers and use the volume control on your pc/speakers?

Does that make it manageable?

Otherwise try turning your pc down when using the amp and seeing if that gives you the control you're after.

EDIT - Also i'd have said that movement between 7oclock and 10 o clock was a reasonable amount of control? How jerky are your hands that you can't get to a decent level within those parameters? I don't think i've ever really gone past around 11 oclock on most of my amps as that's getting to silly volumes generally.

Soldato
Maybe some unusual voltage output, gain, or input level for 100% output on the speakers.

Or changing from one brand of power amp to another made massive difference to dB output at the speaker I had to cut levels down several dB go match the other amps.

Back
Top Bottom