Spec a Media centre PC

Associate
Put this here as you lads seem to be the most informed.

Planning on putting together a Media PC in the next few weeks but have no idea what works with what :confused:

Need it to be fairly silent as its going under the TV so also needs to fairly attractive looking [her indoors words :rolleyes: ]

Main use will be for Movie storage/playback,also be handy if it was able to handle CSS/BF2 on my Sony TV.

Any ideas what case represents good value/looks/noise?

Thanks

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Silvertsone LC-17.

You don't state what type of films you're planning on watching, a machine capable of playing DVD's and divx can be the lowest of the low spec but if you want to play HD H.264 stuff you need top spec.

Soldato
Goatboy said:
Silvertsone LC-17.
very nice case, got one myself for my media centre project :)

best thing to do imo is go with a passively cooled graphics card, the AMD 64 cpu's are dirt cheap now so go with those and perhaps the Artic Freezer 64 Pro as a cooler?

a big HDD if you plan on recording tv 250GB as a minimum, samsung spin-points are quick and very quiet.

Soldato
Personally I wouldn't bother building it for CSS/BF2 - you'd get MUCH better gameplay on a desktop machine.

As for the case/PSU what are your budgets? Do you have a spec list, or do you want us to do one?

Soldato
Casewise I recommend the Zalman HD160, its expensive, but is the best one I could find designed for quiet use, ie; the only one that had rubber grommet mounts for the hard drives to reduce vibration noise, and the design really fits in well with my AV amp.

Soldato
Goatboy said:
Silvertsone LC-17.

You don't state what type of films you're planning on watching, a machine capable of playing DVD's and divx can be the lowest of the low spec but if you want to play HD H.264 stuff you need top spec.

LC-17 is a lovely case.. Ive got a A64 3200, 6800GT and 2gb ram, tv card, 2x320gb drives in mine.
Its mainly used for watching films, recording tv, playing music/radio
but when i want a quick blast on CS:S or battlefield it runs it fine on my 32inch LCD TV, sitting in the living room playing on a big screen is awesome :D

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies.
Goatboy i already have a Buffalo Link Theatre and a DAV S550.The DAV is ok but getting dated quickly as it only does 575i,the Buffalo is ok for playing divx etc off of my PC but im looking for something that will allow me to run the TV at its best plus let me enjoy the odd game of BF2 on a 50" TV [could be fun] :D

The LC-17 looks like a stunning case and even the other 1/2 likes it! What are these like for noise?Can you swap out the 2x 80mm fans for a low rev 120mm?

What would be the biggest Graphics card one of these would take,im thinking along the lines of a 7900/x1800 with a Zalman fan.

Associate
hfx_mini_f01-c.jpg

This is the case I want but it is expensive so I am currently saving hard.

Soldato
Neo4 said:
Thanks for the replies.
Goatboy i already have a Buffalo Link Theatre and a DAV S550.The DAV is ok but getting dated quickly as it only does 575i,the Buffalo is ok for playing divx etc off of my PC but im looking for something that will allow me to run the TV at its best plus let me enjoy the odd game of BF2 on a 50" TV [could be fun] :D

The LC-17 looks like a stunning case and even the other 1/2 likes it! What are these like for noise?Can you swap out the 2x 80mm fans for a low rev 120mm?

What would be the biggest Graphics card one of these would take,im thinking along the lines of a 7900/x1800 with a Zalman fan.

I lied!!!. Ive got the LC03, but its almost exactly the same as the LC-17 just that the drives etc are stealthed which i preferred for the living room.
With regards to the noise level, my lc03 is very quiet, ive got a fan controller on my CPU fan and when this is turned down the machine is v.silent, even with it turned up you cant hear the fans when watching films/tv etc.

Not sure on the lc-17 but i think its the virtually the same size as my lc03 and it will take a 7900 with a zalman fan easily.

Back
Top Bottom