Spec based around a 3080

Man of Honour
Soldato
In all honest you wont notice any difference between either drives in normal use even in games. Use the bigger drive for the games.

I agree with this. My reasoning for the way I have done it is in case one of the drives fails for whatever reason and I can't get the data back. If it's the storage drive, at least the OS and my programs are intact. If it's the OS drive, at least my storage is OK.

I also like to keep my OS drives uncluttered. Minimal storing or moving of files, just kept for the OS and programs/applications.

Soldato
OP
Getting there, just considering placement of the additional Lian-li case fans. Plan is to have two intake at the bottom of the case and one exhause at the rear as seen below. Little snug with the Mugen 5 but hopefully OK. Trying my best to poke the excess cables from the Mugen 5 fans out the back!

qjba8vL.jpeg

Man of Honour
Getting there, just considering placement of the additional Lian-li case fans. Plan is to have two intake at the bottom of the case and one exhause at the rear as seen below. Little snug with the Mugen 5 but hopefully OK. Trying my best to poke the excess cables from the Mugen 5 fans out the back!

qjba8vL.jpeg
The rear fans are to close i would remove the second fan from the cpu cooler.

Soldato
OP
Thanks that's probably best, bit clearer now

xJNRKcg.jpeg

Just trying to work out how to plug all the fan leads in, CPU fan header taken, have sys fan 1-4 plus pump fan header left with 6 fans to power......

Will this work OK, pinched it from the HSF as I'm only using one of its fans now

1NdoTNx.jpeg

I guess it might be best if I had something like this?

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £8.73 (includes shipping: £2.74)
[/INDENT]

Last edited:
Soldato
I agree with this. My reasoning for the way I have done it is in case one of the drives fails for whatever reason and I can't get the data back. If it's the storage drive, at least the OS and my programs are intact. If it's the OS drive, at least my storage is OK.
If you have important/valuable data, you need backups.
Anything else is just fooling yourself. (even RAID is protection against only single thing going wrong)
PSU failing badly, or surge from lightning strike to power line could fry whole PC, mobo failing could corrupt content of drives, or malware could destroy/make all data unreadable.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
These would be better

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £26.46 (includes shipping: £3.48)

Hmm ok, actually the ST120 fan pack came with something very similar to this with a separate controller. Is there a way to get the 3 front fans and 3 fans with the ST120 all hooked up to the case controller AND running through the same 4 pin PWM connector i.e. via the pump fan header?

Perhaps I'm just not getting it

Soldato
OP
Remove that useless fan from below motherboard/move it to top.
At most it will now direct still cool air blown in by intake fans away from heat producing components.
That area where you should have cool air blown toward graphics card.

Thanks I just noticed I need to flip those round, idea being they'll be intake for the GPU, the bottom panel of the case has a mesh side so should be able to suck in from there.

Soldato
If you have important/valuable data, you need backups.
Anything else is just fooling yourself. (even RAID is protection against only single thing going wrong)
PSU failing badly, or surge from lightning strike to power line could fry whole PC, mobo failing could corrupt content of drives, or malware could destroy/make all data unreadable.

Fully agree, my storage drive is connected to my cloud server.

Soldato
Hmm ok, actually the ST120 fan pack came with something very similar to this with a separate controller. Is there a way to get the 3 front fans and 3 fans with the ST120 all hooked up to the case controller AND running through the same 4 pin PWM connector i.e. via the pump fan header?

Perhaps I'm just not getting it

Yes just use the fan controller as suplied. Connect all the fans to it and connect it to a regular pwm fan controller header and not the pump fan header. The controller needs to be connected to the psu with the sata conector so that the hub doesnt try to draw to much power from the motherboard header. You dont need any splitter cables.

Back
Top Bottom