Spec Check - New PC Build

Associate
Hi all,

Looking to build a PC for no.1 Son, his current (my old) is on its last legs & is begging to be retired. Current spec of this is Z77X-D3H, & I-3570K bought from OCUK back in 2012.

Not owning a AMD Chip since AMD Athlon XP days, does the spec below look OK - or would the spec below benefit from a different motherboard?

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £810.09 (includes shipping: £13.20)​

p.s. Don't need a GFX card as this was replaced earlier in the year with a Gigabyte RTX 2060 OC Rev2.

Man of Honour
Save yourself £30 and get the western digital sn 550, slower speeds but no real world performance diffrence.

TEAM GROUP VULCAN Z T-FORCE 32GB (2X16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHZ is £110. You won't be losing much in performance dropping to 3200mhz.

Now you can get a 3700x with money saved if you want yo.

Do you need wifi ?

There is new cpu release on the 5th of November mite be worth waiting.

Associate
OP
Thanks Micky,

Cheers for the Heads up on M2 Drives

I'll change the memory to 3200 if it doesn't make any noticeable difference & don't need Wifi.

In no big rush to upgrade at the moment as its mainly for Christmas.

i only upgrade once in a blue moon & dont really keep up with Technology

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £731.09 (includes shipping: £13.20)​

Last edited:
Man of Honour
He's gonna pick one of my suggestions ;).

B450 motherboard will need a bios update for the new zen3 5000 series cpu, but the bios update may not be till January 2021.

So if you get a zen 3 cpu first make sure the motherboard you get has a bios for it.

Some b550 motherboards have bios already available like the aurous elite

Soldato
sorry for hijack but it’s related...

Is there any practical reason to put solid glass on the front of cases, in front of the fans? seen some people replacing with mesh
Also...the majority seem to be 3x120mm fans but 2x200mm must be less noise/more efficient?

Soldato

Is there any practical reason to put solid glass on the front of cases, in front of the fans? seen some people replacing with mesh
Also...the majority seem to be 3x120mm fans but 2x200mm must be less noise/more efficient?

nope. just to look pretty will not make it cooler. nor will the 200mm fans as they look to mounted still on a frame designed for 140/120mm fans on the Raijintek case. the extra 60mm is just flowing onto the metal of the case..

Steer clear of both Aerocool and Kolink if your budget allows. get one of the entry level Lian Li or Phanteks

Man of Honour

Main reason it's tougher with a glass front and can look nicer if your preference . While a mesh front is less retrictave for airflow. They are still good value cases with more than adequate cooling.

https://www.enostech.com/raijintek-silenos-pc-case-review/

Associate
OP
Thanks all,

Still looking at Cases, think the boy has settled for the Lian-Li.

Out of curiosity, would it make any difference substituting the B450 for a B550?

Associate
I guess it depends if its in your budget and you think it might be worth it for the longevity.

The 450 should get an update to run the 5000 series chips from Jan 2021 onwards but the 550 will definitely be a safer choice if you think thats the way you may go later.

Though given that the 550/570 is probably the end of the line for AM4, you might just want to keep the well matched B450 36000 combo and see what the future brings.

Back
Top Bottom