Spec me... 5.1/7.1 headset please!

Soldato
As title, my roccat Kave's have fallen in half tonight and are unfixable :( They've lasted me nearly 5 years so not too bad but need to replace them.

I'd like the best for under £100 ideally. Surround is a must as I use them for VR too, and nothing but multiple 3.5mm jacks with USB power as I'm running them off the MB.

Throw ideas at me! Ta.

Soldato
"Surround something" in headphones means 99% of time in reality "we're selling overpriced cheap Chinese trinkets".

For start closed design heavily favoured by gaming trinkets, no doubt because of enabling strong lowest bass, is huge challenge/drag even for actual audio makers.
For cheap trinket production closed headphones it pretty much means head in bucket level binaural sound stage.
If isolation of environment's noises isn't needed, open headphone has always good headstart for producing better sound stage.

And cramming garbage truck load of even cheaper and worser drivers in doesn't change things.
Human hears in 3D because head and outer ears cause differences to sound signal received by ears depending on direction of sound source.
That can never happen with headphones so any kind smooth 360 directionality is impossible.
Sound from one channel being locked to one ear is why standard stereo mix has very artificial inside one ear (like fly in your ear) or in center of head sound when listened with headphones.

Binaural simulation taking 5.1 sound from game and modeling how signal received by ears is changed listened with quality stereo headphones is lot better.
With good open headphones besides directionality there's also good sense of distance.
I wouldn't trust any of gaming brand trinkets, no matter how expensive, to be anywhere near Superlux HD-330 which cost me 30€.
And those fall short from open headphones of audio makers.

Associate
OK so I took my Roccat Kave's off a bit too quickly and they have broken so the left headphone hangs away from my ear. The volume control on the in line device broke some time ago and Roccat weren't interested. These replaced a set of Medusa 5.1s.
I have always bought analogue 5.1 head sets as they plug straight into my SoundBlaster (not motherboard audio), but the choice is limited (these have 4 cables on end - not 1 or 2).
I have always belived that the positional sound should be better. I play a lot of FPS (esp Fortnite at mo and Battlefield), need a mic too.
Should I stick with analogue or go to USB connection - the HYperX Cloud 2 gets lots of praise?
Help please

Associate
OK so looking at the HYperX Cloud 2, I plug the 2 3.5mm jacks into the respective sound card ports but do I then need to change the output in SoundBlaster settings from 5.1 to Stereo and let the USB hardware do the 5.1? Doesn't this kind of make the SoundBlaster Z redundant?
Thanks

Soldato
OK so looking at the HYperX Cloud 2, I plug the 2 3.5mm jacks into the respective sound card ports but do I then need to change the output in SoundBlaster settings from 5.1 to Stereo and let the USB hardware do the 5.1? Doesn't this kind of make the SoundBlaster Z redundant?
Thanks
You set up Sound Blaster Z for headphone output and enable Surround in SBX Pro, like you should have done in the first place.

I have always bought analogue 5.1 head sets as they plug straight into my SoundBlaster (not motherboard audio), but the choice is limited (these have 4 cables on end - not 1 or 2).
I have always belived that the positional sound should be better. I play a lot of FPS (esp Fortnite at mo and Battlefield), need a mic too.
How many ears do you have?
I bet it's two.
Any more drivers/channels in headphones is marketing BS for selling pile of dung.
We hear in 3D because shape of head causes direction dependant changes to signal received by both ears from sound source.
Headphones can never create those binaural cues.
And only thing more drivers makes sure is that those are even worser quality trinket garbage.

Only real way is emulating nature:
Using mathematical algorithms to model how sounds behave on their way to both ears, producing signals ears would receive in actual environment.
(you already have there one of the best algorithms for that)
And then reproducing those signals accurately.
Where the problem of gaming stuff is.
While stereo music doesn't give a damn about accurate reproduction, binaural cues are very sensitive to accuracy of reproduction.
Same signal can either give even good feel of distance besides directionality, or sound like having head in bucket under water.

And closed design is big challenge for sound quality even to actual audio makers.
In noisy environment sound isolation is sure needed, but in quiet environment closed design is just completely unnecessary challenge for sound quality.
Besides isolating also more heat for higher sweating risk of ears.
I can wear my open headphones for whole day without any sweating.

Unlike most gaming stuff, HyperX Cloud is made by honestly trying manufacturer, Takstar, so it's certainly going to be decent.
But have zero doubt that it couldn't touch even some cheaper open headphones
In headsets unfortunately you have to pay quite a bit more for those few rare open design using ones, than price you get very good headphones from actual audio makers.

Associate
"You set up Sound Blaster Z for headphone output and enable Surround in SBX Pro, like you should have done in the first place."
SBX Pro is set to surround but these have multiple speakers in - don't they?

"How many ears do you have? I bet it's two"
Yes, Yes I have

So what you are saying is the HyperX Cloud 2 is a good choice then?

OcUK Staff
Cloud 2 are a good headset value wise. Comfy and decent sound.

Our favourite at OCUK is the Arctis Pro with GameDAC. It's the best headset for gaming hands down, comfy and has some great and useful features. Good at music they don't do as well for music as for games.

If you listen to a lot of music then the sennheiser with gamedac has the balance slightly the other way and are available in closed and open flavours.

Steelseries Arctis Pro USB High Fidelity Gaming Headset and GameDAC Amplifier Bundle (61453) @ £249.95 inc VAT
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/Stee...GameDAC-Amplifier-Bundle-61453-SP-09M-ST.html

SP09MST_182630_285x255.png
SP09MST_182631_285x255.png
SP09MST_182632_285x255.png
SP09MST_182633_285x255.png

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/Stee...GameDAC-Amplifier-Bundle-61453-SP-09M-ST.html
Steelseries Arctis Pro Gaming Headset and GameDAC featuring: dedicated DAC and headphone amp for gaming, Certified Hi-Res Audio system with 96 kHz/24 bit support, Audiophile-grade Audio, Lightweight

Only £249.95 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Sennheiser GSP 600 Closed Cup Gaming Headset and GSX 1000 Amplifier Bundle @ £279.95 inc VAT

Bundle includes: Sennheiser GSP 600 Closed Cup Professional Gaming Headset For PC PS4 Xbox, Sennheiser GSX 1000 Audio Amplifier for Gaming

Only £279.95 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Sennheiser GSP 500 Open Acoustic Gaming Headset and GSX 1000 Amplifier Bundle @ £264.95 inc VAT

Bundle includes: Sennheiser GSP 500 Open Acoustic Gaming Headset for PC, PS4 Xbox, Sennheiser GSX 1000 Audio Amplifier for Gaming

Only £264.95 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Soldato
SBX Pro is set to surround but these have multiple speakers in - don't they?

So what you are saying is the HyperX Cloud 2 is a good choice then?
And falling for that marketing BS was you mistake.
Accurate stereo headphones and binaural sound is only true surround with headphones.
And that accuracy requirement is vastly higher than with any music.
So obviously most gaming stuff is cheap trinket manufacturing with huge overpricing.
With pricing even going far above very good headphones from actual audio makers. (£100 level)
Huge profits is what attracts all those gaming brands.

For lower budget HyperX Cloud, which is made by honestly trying manufacturer, would be one I would trust to have decent sound for closed design.
That USB dongle is just some cheapo:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/30945620
And anyway Dolby Headphone is very mediocre bass bloating echo chamber compared to Creative's HRTF algorithm.

If you have quiet environment not needing external noise and you can find it, QPAD QH-85 (also made by Takstar) would be one of the rare open design headsets.
While loosing in amount of especially lower bass, it would likely be lot better for spatial cues than closed design.
There's reason why open ear cup design is so common in better headphones of audio makers.

Associate
The reviews on Amazon of the QPAD aren't brilliant and the design looks almost identical to the HyperX Cloud, but I guess they are both madeby Takstar? You seem to be of a very fixed view and I am not sure I would appreciate the differences nuances you experience. The HyperX gets lots of good reviews.

Associate
So still thoroughly confused and the Roccat Kaves have been taped up because I cant choose what to replace them with. However, the USB connector is faulty and the volume keeps increasing on its own which is now driving me nuts.
I have a SoundBlaster z soundcard, connected with 4 3.5mm cables to the above.

I just don't see I will get the benefit of £250 spent on headphones as I probably wont set them up properly - thanks EsaT :) Your answers are too technical for me.

I just want a mic and headset that will mean I can hear accurate positional sounds in FPS games - no music. I don't care if open or closed as quiet room as long as they are comfy. Wired is not a problem.
Creative BlasterX H7s any good?

Sorting headsets on popularity -the first reasonably priced items are Xtrfy H2 on pre-order?

Soldato
However, the USB connector is faulty and the volume keeps increasing on its own

I just don't see I will get the benefit of £250 spent on headphones
Isn't that just Auto volume boost™?

No reason to pay audiofoolery prices from some inaccurate fashion sound cans.
£100 gets very good headphones for gaming.
Like Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro for balanced gaming with controlled above neutral bass punch if you like that. (that Roskat trinket likely had lots of bass)
Or AKG K702 for neutral bass and top level accurate sound.
Adding ModMic would turn both to headsets.

From headsets Sennheiser Game One would be available for good price.
And have zero doubt for it beating easily all standard closed gaming headsets.

Sorting headsets on popularity -the first reasonably priced items are Xtrfy H2 on pre-order?
Xtrfy H2 looks lot like its another Takstar like Kingston HyperXes.
So likely very little chance against good open headphones, except in amount of bass boom.

And do you care about choise of dung flies for selection of your foods?
Average consumer is lot like dung fly...
Except that dung flies demand new crap instead of falling for same old crap again and again.

Associate
OK so now running with a pair of £20 Sades, still not going to spend £250 what about this not so-shortlist? Ill take votes :)

HyperX Cloud Revolver S 7.1 Surround £110
HyperX Cloud Alpha £67 - clearly best budget
Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO Studio Headphones £101 - plus I need a mic (modmic) £35
AKG K702 Reference Open-Back Over-Ear Studio Headphones £105 - plus mic
AKG612 £130 inc modmic 4
Logitech G533 Binaural Headphones £95
Sennheiser Game One £150
Creative Headset Sound BlasterX H7 Tournament Edition £90

Updated to change Cloud 2 to Alpha as didn't realise it was the newer model - thanks olivier

Last edited:
Associate
I've got the Steel Series Arctis 5's and find them spot on for FPS gaming. I'm sure they are technically garbage, cheap Chinese trinkets etc etc etc... however, I find playing things like pube g I can hear enemy footsteps from afar and the direction of the footsteps and gunshots pretty easily.

Associate
I've got the Steel Series Arctis 5's and find them spot on for FPS gaming. I'm sure they are technically garbage, cheap Chinese trinkets etc etc etc... however, I find playing things like pube g I can hear enemy footsteps from afar and the direction of the footsteps and gunshots pretty easily.

I got the wireless ones and was amazed at the difference between the steelseries and my previous Cloud II, the difference in clarity for footsteps etc was night and day which I didn't expect.

Associate
@Webzta yeah my mate had the Cloud II's as well and got some Arctis 7's around Xmas after his Clouds gave up life and at first hated them... then turned the faux DTS off, ran them in stereo then copied some streamers settings and said it's night and day now.

Back
Top Bottom