Spec me - 6k commuter

Man of Honour
I rather unexpectedly need to replace my Jetta.

Usage is 2/3 day a week 65 mile commute of M1/M25

Cruise, climate and automatic are my must haves.

So far it looks like a W204 C220/250cdi or an E90 320D are falling into the 6k budget.

I'm coming from a PD105 so either of them is going to be a step up in performance.

A superb would be a consideration but they appear to be few and far between with reasonable mileage for the budget.

Anything else I should be considering? Any horrors lurk with either of the above?

Associate
I rather unexpectedly need to replace my Jetta.

Usage is 2/3 day a week 65 mile commute of M1/M25

Cruise, climate and automatic are my must haves.

So far it looks like a W204 C220/250cdi or an E90 320D are falling into the 6k budget.

I'm coming from a PD105 so either of them is going to be a step up in performance.

A superb would be a consideration but they appear to be few and far between with reasonable mileage for the budget.

Anything else I should be considering? Any horrors lurk with either of the above?

W204 - 250cdi is the 651 engine pretty good engine not much goes wrong with them if its been looked after and serviced regularly. Only faults I seen on those engine while I was working for MB was the coolant connection to cylinder leaking but was modified with a newer part and also coolant pump leaking but other than that a good engine. Other things to looking at on the W204 is brake pipes as they do corrode above the rear axle and also check the rear subframe is not rotten.

I also have a PD105 good little engine

mjt

mjt

Soldato
B7 Passat? Dull as dishwater but the 2.0TDI is pretty solid. At least the rattling bag of spanners in a bigger bag of spanners in my C6 A6 is..

Man of Honour
OP
B7 Passat? Dull as dishwater but the 2.0TDI is pretty solid. At least the rattling bag of spanners in a bigger bag of spanners in my C6 A6 is..

I’d go anything VAG 1.9/2.0 TDI for that budget.

Passat was on the list initially, and it's perhaps foolish but I'd like something that feels like an upgrade.

I'd covered the best part of 90k miles in the Jetta in just under 3 years so I'm keen to steer away from another VAG product

Man of Honour
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202005199414197
Good trim level and a bit more power than your Jetta, not sure if you will be able to haggle it down close to your budget though in the current climate.

One problem with the Superb is your budget doesn't stretch to the 2015 model meaning you are in the older model.

Man of Honour
For £6k I wouldn't be buying a Mercedes or BMW. Any car can throw a bill but they will likely throw bigger bills than another VAG, Ford, etc, at that price point.

Soldato
if you are moving on m1/m25 is the ULEZ charge of significance, so - the compatability of any diesel
Yeah, Euro 6 3 and 5 series started early 2012 with the 20d and 30d.

but as Greebo said aforementioned cars may not give low running cost and fuel consumption for a 130 mile triple weekly round-trip in congested traffic.

Man of Honour
OP
ANy other reason you are looking at cars that size? If you were prepared to go with a smaller car then your budget would go further?

There's very few Mondeo/Focus Autos within budget, although the 1 of each on AT at the moment are a couple of years newer, and similar/slightly lower mileage. I know I SHOULD be looking at Golfs et all, but I irrationally can't bring myself to being stuck in another VAG product

if you are moving on m1/m25 is the ULEZ charge of significance, so - the compatability of any diesel

but as Greebo said aforementioned cars may not give low running cost and fuel consumption for a 130 mile triple weekly round-trip in congested traffic.

Uxbridge is well outside of the LEZ/ULEZ and looks like it will continue to be for at least a few more years yet

It was the first contender, the choice is very limited. Auto is a requirement I'm not willing to compromise on and I know nothing about the powershift boxes. I got bitten by the DSG 6 months into ownership of the Jetta

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Powershift have similar issues to the DSG boxes from what I've been reading (I'm looking for similar age/price S-Max). Basically if the engine is over 2.0l you'll get the wet clutch version and these just need regular fluid changes. Avoid the dry clutch.

Soldato
does insignia have a decent box though ? aunt has an astra automatic, maybe it's only 4 speed but it never sounds very happy, not like
f1 change on a volvo 8 speed geartronic.

Caporegime
V70 D5?
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202010305621683

The D5 has a pretty bomb proof reputation, I’ve got an older and higher mileage example and thus far it’s been faultless whilst delivering good performance and - for its size - good economy, by far the most comfortable car I’ve driven.

I’d certainly expect it to give a far less fiscally painful ownership experience than a similar age Merc or BMW….

I could have ditched my V70 for my dads W204 recently at practically zero cost, despite it having well over 100k less miles on it than my Volvo, I much preferred the V70’s ride and certainly felt the built quality was in a different league to the Merc, which - surprisingly - felt rather cheap by comparison.

This one is just south of Tunbridge Wells,great spec that ticks your boxes, 133k miles,but I certainly wouldn’t let that put you off, just make sure you get the gearbox oil & filter changed as part of the deal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom