Spec me a £250-300 rig!

Soldato
Right, all it has to be able to do is play WoW (I know... Addiction has kicked back in again :(), the new star wars online game, 1080p films, CSS, TF2 and a couple of other games with that graphic range.

What I dont need:

Sound card
HDD
Case
Monitor
Keyboard
Mouse
OS (will be on XP)

ags

Soldato
Heres what I have concocted, and should run WoW easily. I have fitted it in under your budget.

recommended.jpg

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Associate
Intel route

untitled.jpg

A little over budget but has lots of scope when current 775 quads fall in price... There is 'other' memory available which would reduce the cost.

Soldato
buildz.png

That should do you fine. If you wanted to save a bit then the CPU could be lowered to a E3300 and since it's got dedicated graphics the motherboard could be a G31, wouldn't matter much. Something like the P5KPL-AM SE or something else from Gigabyte would do fine, and that's a good £20 right off. PSU just for future proofing really, could change it to what you want. If you already have a cooler then use that, but if not then i really reccomend the extra for this. And yes, you probably don't need these graphics. Hell, something for half the price would do. But it's likely that you will decide in future that you would want to play some half decent games instead :p Really though, for games you get better performance with a good GPU and decent CPU than the other way round.

MCH

MCH

Associate
if you want to play a lot of css and play it to a decent level i would opt for a larger dual core as this will get you a lot more fps !!! and go with the ATI card has the flash ghost doesnt last as long :p

Associate
I sure hope Agnes wasn't hoping for any universal opinions!

I think anyone building a new 775 based system right now would be mad not to opt for the Blackops board at that price. For the record you can happily run modules from a tri channel pack in a dual channel motherboard.

Back
Top Bottom