1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spec me a 250gb SSD please

Discussion in 'Storage Drives' started by SexyGreyFox, Sep 30, 2018.

1. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

It's a minefield out there ranging from about £37 to over £100 but what is the difference between the cheapest and say the Samsung EVO for around £55?
    And then what is the difference between the Samsung £55 and £71?

At the moment I use a Samsung SSD 750 EVO 250GB but the problem is it's divided up as a 60gb C:drive and the rest is an e:drive but I now get all types of 'not enough HD' errors and I haven't got enough space to put the latest updates on.
    The reason it's 60gb is because I originally had a 60gb SSD and used a cloning device to clone it to a 240gb which put the rest on e:

If I could combine the two drives together (what software would I use?) but I'd probably have to reinstall all the stuff I put on the e:drive anyway.

There's a few questions there so thanks

2. koolpc

Capodecina

Subbed

3. bledd

Don

Personally, I tend to go for Crucial or Samsung, depending on the use.

Samsung for system drives, Crucial for data (they tend to be cheaper per GB, but a tad slower).

Doing anyone would notice the speed difference outside of a benchmark.

Handy tool for freeing up space.. Treesize Free, it will tell you where the storage it's being used up.

4. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

I will go for Samsung since I've got two others but what's the difference between the £55 and the £71 drives?

I use a program called DOPUS (Directory Opus) that has a Treesize built into it and I can't see where I can free up any space so I'll start again.

5. andy_mk3

Soldato

You would struggle to buy a bad SSD these days, I have SanDisk and Kingston drives in a server performing brilliantly.

Samsung drives are definitely very good, and generally the more you spend they are quicker and have higher write endurance.

6. maklabouhlel

Hitman

Why don't you back up e drive then delete the partition in disk management then extend c drive.

7. Maundie

Wise Guy

Is it the EVO and the Pro versions?

If so I think it's speed (although you wouldn't really notice any difference unless in benchmarks) and warranty

8. bledd

Don

Worth trying cleanmgr (disk cleanup) and ccleaner.

Maybe disable system restore..

9. chaparral

Capodecina

10. maklabouhlel

Hitman

Samsung, Crucial MX500 or Sandisk Ultra are worth the extra. They have a much higher write endurance (TBW) than the cheaper drives.