Spec me a bike - £1000, cycle to work scheme

Associate
Hi Guys,

I've been thinking of getting myself a new bike since the back end of last year. I've got a halfords special Carerra Gryphon that I've had since I started uni 6 years ago and although it's not a bad bike, it's just not going to cut it any more and I fancy a change.

As it happened, my employers announced that as of February they'd be taking part in the cycle to work scheme, so I could buy a new bike, pay out of my salary and save on tax and NI. To me this seems like a decent deal and a relative no brainer for my new bike. Agree?

I currently cycle on roads or tarmac cycle paths, I'm not an off-roader (unless a slightly gravelled path on my coast-to-coast rides counts). I tend to do ~40 miles every other weekend and during the summer I commute the 30 mile round trip to work 2 or 3 days a week, with journeys by car making up the rest and all my winter commuting. For the past two years I've done a 150 mile tour of Holland and the Whitehaven -> Sunderland coast to coast with some friends. I'm not a light user, but I'm not a mega cyclist either.

Am I right in thinking the cycle to work scheme is still a good idea for me? Would you guys please recommend a bike for my usage? I've a budget of £1000, don't need helmet or lights, and I think either a hybrid or light road bike would be my best bet. Buying a decent bike is a confusing process and I'm really not sure where my money should go. If any of you guys could help I'd appreciate it greatly.

Cheers!

Man of Honour
Check out the Pinnacle Arkose range. They're "adventure" bikes which whilst being a bit of a gimmick would nevertheless be good for your needs - road bike but with wider tyres and full mudguard + rack mounts. Something like this would be a far better choice than a hybrid.

edit: Cycle2Work is still a good scheme even if it's not quite as awesome as it used to be.

Associate
OP
Check out the Pinnacle Arkose range. They're "adventure" bikes which whilst being a bit of a gimmick would nevertheless be good for your needs - road bike but with wider tyres and full mudguard + rack mounts. Something like this would be a far better choice than a hybrid.

edit: Cycle2Work is still a good scheme even if it's not quite as awesome as it used to be.

Thanks, that's certainly a lot closer to a road bike than a mountain bike, unlike most hybrids. Will take a look in a bit more detail this evening.

Soldato
I got a Planet X London Road with Sram Rival and hydraulic discs when I was in a very similar position to you.

It's a very fast bike with fat comfortable tyres. IMO Sram Rival is a bit agricultural (compared to my 10 yr older Trek's Shimano 105) but in terms of value for money, I think it's a hard one to beat.

Associate
OP
Preference on materials, alu, steel, carbon or a mix?
Double/Triple chainset?
Single speed/fixie?
Hub gearing
Pannier rack?
Mudguards?

How about Ribble Audax
or this

Honestly couldn't say with regard to material, as I don't know what difference it makes. I'd rather it wasn't a heavy bike as I'd need to carry it upstairs, but I'd not want über lightweight if it compromises something else.

I'd prefer a triple chainset if possible, not a fixie, mudguards are probably a good idea and I already have a pannier rack so if I can fit that it'd be nice.

Aurax seems a nice bike, will take a better look this evening. Definite no for the Cinelli.

I got a Planet X London Road with Sram Rival and hydraulic discs when I was in a very similar position to you.

It's a very fast bike with fat comfortable tyres. IMO Sram Rival is a bit agricultural (compared to my 10 yr older Trek's Shimano 105) but in terms of value for money, I think it's a hard one to beat.

Will take a look at the London Road. Planet X come well recommended from some guys at work.

Back
Top Bottom