Spec me - A Bottle of Gin

Associate
You don't need to spend that much to get a cracking bottle of Gin (but you can do of course). There are many different styles of Gin, and this can vary the taste of the drink that you make with them. Do you know if this will be drunk mainly as a G&T, or will it be mixed into various cocktails?

Off the bat, for G&Ts that I've thoroughly enjoyed, I'd recommend: Plymouth, Graveney (local South London), Brokers, Martin Miller's (highly regarded), The Botanist, Silent Pool, and Bloom. I generally use Fever Tree Mediterranean tonic water, or occasionally 1724 tonic water, and a slice of pink grapefruit :).

Soldato
Lots - any particular style that the recipient likes?

Bought a bottle of the local distiller "Silent Pool", very heady and powerful.

Soldato
Interesting - didn't realise Bruichladdich did gin too ("The Botanist"). I have had their Ten Whiskey and now their 2009 Barley Whisky which is really beautiful. The distillery was started by a guy that focuses on doing interesting things like concentrating on Terroir in selecting ingredients.

Soldato
For something out of left-field and with a totally different flavour profile from almost anything else you'll find, try Hoxton. It smells like Malibu but is savoury rather than sweet - main botanicals are grapefruit and coconut and it drinks amazingly well. My go-to gin for people who say they don't like gin.

For something classic but with a modern twist, try Masons Dry Yorkshire. Juniper is prevelant and there is a citrus backnote but you'll also get a little aniseed and subtle spice. Refreshing and crisp with a really interesting finish.

For one of the most modern gins out there, try Audemus Pink Peppercorn. It eschews the standard juniper-led style and is full of pink peppercorn with caramel undertones from the vanilla and tonka bean. Utterly sublime.

For something a little more aromatic, pick up Bobby's Schiedam. Smooth as anything and incredibly aromatic, with background notes of orange, clove and cardamom balancing out the juniper.

For something very modern and British, go for Conker. Juniper-led but with some really interesting local Devon botanicals rounding it out - samphire, elderberry and gorse make for an eclectic mix.

Prefer something Scottish? Rock Rose is a great choice. Not very heavy on the juniper and has a crisp, fruity quality, being stuffed with flavours from sea buckthorn, verbena and roman berries, amongst other local botanicals from where the distillery is located.

Speaking of fruity, if that's what you want there's a fantastic British gin with Japanese stylings in the shape of Jinzu. Yuzu and cherry blossom give this a fragrant edge and a wonderful aromatic nose.

All of those can be picked up for between £30 and £45 from Amazon and would make for a great gift for someone who likes their gin.

Soldato
The Botanist is a superb gin however I'd recommend something from Eden Mill. Their range is great. Plus, they come in really unusual bottle which would go down well for a present. I'd probably go for their Love Gin, as it's not going to be too radical but make a nice gift.

Soldato
The Botanist is a superb gin however I'd recommend something from Eden Mill. Their range is great. Plus, they come in really unusual bottle which would go down well for a present.

all bruichladdichs products are great :)

eden mill are also top drawer(their office is just up the road from me )

Soldato
all bruichladdichs products are great :)
Horses for courses, but I find their gin to be pretty average and lacking any real definition from the myriad of botanicals it features.

Something like Caorunn knocks it into a cocked hat and at a much more palatable price-point.

Soldato
Botanist is a good shout.

Monkey 47 is a very well respected gin too, only a 500ml bottle though :(

Tarquins is one of my favourites at the moment, along with Pothecary which has a great lavender aroma.

But then I do have over 35 bottles of gin at home.....so there's too many to name!!

Cotswold Gin is also fab!

FTM

FTM

Soldato
I love Rock Rose

I love the bottle and i love the fact its a small operation, its made by a small team and is properly distilled rather than a 'bathtub' gin

Associate
I'm a big lover of gins, and have tried loads now - I'd agree with The Botanist and Silent Pool as both being very good.

Also try Gin Mare (preferably with Fever Tree Mediterranean tonic), or Anno Gin which has hops as one of the botanicals.

Soldato
Our current gin shelf - would agree the Botanist is a good choice.

8ft1YTil.jpg

Recently tried Boudier Saffron Gin during a tasting session - that was rather nice to drink neat (be a nice nip from a hip-flask).

The Opihr spiced gin is on promo in most supermarkets - down to £18 :cool:

Back
Top Bottom