Spec me a build for Total Warhammer @ 2560X1440 budget ~£1K + monitor

Soldato
This is for friend. He is is not keen on building himself.

He is intending to use the computer for work as well, therefore I was going to suggest getting a 2560X1440 monitor, as it is great for viewing documents side by side etc.

He wants a plain non-flashy case (I would imagine therefore no- cut out).

He mentioned total warhammer, I am not sure what other games he would be interested in. Spec me a card that will run Warhammer OK, if he gets more into gaming it is one of the easiest things to upgrade down the line.

(He said he would be happy with a second hand PC- but looking through mm it is mostly parts. I was thinking I would suggest buying new with all the warranties for his first PC, and upgrade with second hand parts in the future. IF you are aware on any secondhand full systems on mm that would be a good match then feel free to recommend them).

Include a keyboard + mouse as I think he has been using laptops and may not have them.

He mentioned a rough £1k budget. But I would imagine it could be streched, so spec according to Warhammer at 2560X1440 and work down from there.

Also please recommend me a 2560X1440 monitor - probably the cheapest alright one would suit, as I dont think he is going to notice the difference between panel types and refresh rates at this stage!

Soldato
Tomorrow morning OcUK have said they will have a 2560x1440 monitor on sale at £200, and also some CPUs and motherboards and reduced. Probably the best time to buy as they'll be limited quantity.

The first Total Warhammer was a heavy cores user (the new one not so much), so even at 1440p I'd say a Ryzen 1600 or better. For GPU, GTX 1060 6GB at minimum, and preferably GTX 1070 or better as it's 1440p but budget may come into play.

So ideally, check the offers early tomorrow and quickly ring up OcUK and ask for a quote for a build with the parts you decide on (ask for Damo or StigBourne, if they happen to be available, as they can probably give you a better quote than someone just answering the phone).

Here's an example build for the time being:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,018.44 (includes shipping: £12.60)

If the monitor on sale tomorrow is decent, then its price should allow for a bit of leeway on the 1K system budget to account for the build quote. Windows I'd advise looking elsewhere, or using it free for now without activating. 250GB SSD to get him going, add another drive later.

Associate
Tomorrow morning OcUK have said they will have a 2560x1440 monitor on sale at £200, and also some CPUs and motherboards and reduced. Probably the best time to buy as they'll be limited quantity.

The first Total Warhammer was a heavy cores user (the new one not so much), so even at 1440p I'd say a Ryzen 1600 or better. For GPU, GTX 1060 6GB at minimum, and preferably GTX 1070 or better as it's 1440p but budget may come into play.

So ideally, check the offers early tomorrow and quickly ring up OcUK and ask for a quote for a build with the parts you decide on (ask for Damo or StigBourne, if they happen to be available, as they can probably give you a better quote than someone just answering the phone).

Here's an example build for the time being:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,018.44 (includes shipping: £12.60)

If the monitor on sale tomorrow is decent, then its price should allow for a bit of leeway on the 1K system budget to account for the build quote. Windows I'd advise looking elsewhere, or using it free for now without activating. 250GB SSD to get him going, add another drive later.
Assuming you're talking about the AOC Q3279VWF, then a VEGA 56 may be the better option due to FreeSync. The cards should be discounted tomorrow to ~£380.

Back
Top Bottom