Spec me a camera

Soldato
I'd go for a micro four thirds camera personally, something like a panasonic gf3 which you can pick up for £300 or so. You get a lot of image quality and performance in a small package. The last thing you want to do is put her off with a massive camera she never takes out.

That's just my opinion.

Associate
Speaking as a beginner and someone who wanted a step up from a point and shoot I find my Olympus epl1 great.
I think they're upto elp3 now but there's not that great a difference.

I was given the dual lens bundle as a christmas present and it let me get a taste for different lenses as well.

Not sure how much it was thb, maybe look at around £300..

Soldato
OP
Mrs Spud and I have been looking at an ideal budget in the region of £400

I have narrowed down to the following options.

Sony A55 - I can get one with an 18-55 lens for £500 online
Nikon D3100 - Around £380

I have also been looking at two compacts.

Samsung NX-200 - £500 or so with 18.55 lens
Sony NEX-5N - £500 or so with 18-55 lens

Is there anything else I should be looking at in that price range?

The cameras we have been looking at are over the top end of our ideal budget.

Soldato
I've been looking at the Canon 1100D or the Nikon D3100 for the wife myself, she is a novice but keen to get into it, the Canon is meant to be a bit plasticy feeling so am tempted to skip it so I don't look like a cheapskate.

Anyone used the Nikon or have any thoughts or better models?

Associate
I bought the 3100 a couple of months back with the 18-55mm kit lens. Have since purchased a 35mm 1.8 and awaiting delivery of a used 55-200mm 4-5.6 too.

I love it so far, build quality and spec is much better than the 1100D IMO.

I'm only just getting into photography (always just had compacts before, e.g. Canon Ixus), but fancied getting a 'proper' camera. Although not full frame, I think it's a great camera - especially for beginners intermediates that don't want to spend too much, and don't want to go the route of older, used, but higher end bodies.

Soldato
Hmm the Sony is a bit pricey for me, plus it's bloody ugly :)

I think I'll go for the Nikon D3100, slrhut.co.uk have it for £329 which is by far the cheapest I've found but not sure about the company/site, any of you guys used them?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom