Spec me a car to use as a parking space holder

Soldato
I have been in a parking war with my neighbours since they decided to become a 4 car household with room for only 1.5 cars to park outside. If you find yourself without a space, you have to mount the curb and park on a grass verge opposite.

A driveway isn't an option and so I would like to get a car that I can move into and out of the space such that I always have it. This will annoy my neighbours to no end and I can't wait for them to realise what I am doing.

Requirements:
  • As long as (or longer than) an Audi A5 coupé
  • Lowest possible purchase cost and vehicle tax
  • Road legal
The car will literally only move back and forth occasionally and so I care about nothing other than the above requirements. The insurance will be taken care of and isn't a consideration. I will probably have to charge the battery occasionally but I will cross that bridge when it comes to it.

Any recommendations?

Permabanned
Soldato
I'm guessing it's on street parking along the road hence the size requirement - just look on Facebook marketplace for something for a few hundred quid with as much mot as possible, older than 2001 and it's £255 a year insurance for anything over 1.5l - £22 a month by direct debit. You should have a choice of plenty of old mercs, volvos, etc etc.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the recommendations so far. Moving house doesn't fit the requirements, unfortunately.

I laughed at the bus suggestion, though I don't think it would fit on the grass verge which I intend to hold this car when my car is parked. I'll look into the volvos and mondeos though.

The problem roughly looks like this:
ddRoqOu.png

Our two cars are in blue, theirs are in red. I've realised I've missed out my neighbour on the left of me out (duh) but essentially I have no space to move the other way and after that, you have the junction.

Soldato
4 cars and no driveway? I suppose they're within their rights if the on street parking is unallocated, but it's taking the pee a little. Are you allowed to park on the grass verge?

Permabanned
Sooooo, getting my head round this, where do you park the stand-in car when you return ?
If the road is as chocca with cars as you are inferring , do you not need a stand-in car space for that car too ?

Who's on first ?

Soldato
OP
Sooooo, getting my head round this, where do you park the stand-in car when you return ?
If the road is as chocca with cars as you are inferring , do you not need a stand-in car space for that car too ?

Who's on first ?

Seeing as I won't care about this car that I am buying, I would mount the curb and park it on the grass verge (something that I don't like to do with the A5).

4 cars and no driveway? I suppose they're within their rights if the on street parking is unallocated, but it's taking the pee a little. Are you allowed to park on the grass verge?

So far it does seem like you are allowed to park on the grass verge.

Associate
Sounds a lot of chew to pee off a neighbour. Technically it is street parking so they're not your spots. Why not just park over their house to make a point?

Send them all glitter bonbs

Soldato
This.....

Or buy a banger off gumtree for a few hundred quid, SORN it and just move it forward and back when needed

SORN - Statutory off road notification. Parking on the road isn't 'off road' - it'll need to be taxed, mot, insured.

And I mentioned the grass verge as some council's will fine people for churning up grass verges so it might be worth double checking.

Back
Top Bottom