Spec me a car to use as a parking space holder

Soldato
On the flip side, how would people feel about this situation:

The guy opposite us has two cars, and a driveway that accommodates 2.5 cars (3 if he overhangs the utterly useless pavement with the final one). However at least 9 times out of 10 he will park the second car in the cul-de-sac's turning area, making live miserable for people trying to turn round (the binmen for example have a rough time of it, as do deliveries in anything larger than a 3.5t van). I'm pretty certain that he does it simply to be a lazy **** (based on the fact he used to park on my lawn until I had words!) so that his wife can get off the drive before him without having to move the 2nd car. Not worth doing anything about it as he's got the house up for sale, but still rather annoying even though it doesn't actually hinder me all that much.
This is a prime example of where people can cause issues. I've already mentioned my situation (single width drive, 3 cars) which is made worse by my wife leaving and arriving home later than me on a work day.

The easiest thing for me would be to park my car outside my house. On our narrow road it would make it a bit tricky for the guy opposite to get on his drive and in isolation, equally difficult for his neighbour. Better for others would be for me to park up the road a bit outside someone elses house. No blocked drives etc. but if they have visitors they need to park elsewhere.

Now my neighbour has one car and one off road parking space but parks on the road outside his house. I can see why, it is a shared drive and he has to navigate his big old bus (Pug 807) round the side of his garage and into the space and one of the other neighbours makes it tight with his van. By parking on the street he makes it a little difficult for the guy opposite getting on and off his drive.

Finally to my point... I COULD park outside my own house, I mean the neighbour does its so why shouldn't I? Yes it would make it difficult for the guy opposite me (but not impossible by any means as proven when my MX5 was stuck there with a dead clutch master cylinder :o ) and the person opposite my neighbour would have a real task everytime he wanted to use his drive... but technically not my issue as it would be my neighbour that is causing more of the obstruction.

I COULD park up the road all the time and cause less of an issue but still inconvenience my neighbours.

Instead I park up the road and move my car the minute my wife gets home.

My other neighbour has the same issue and chose to turn his front garden into an additional parking space.

If we both wanted to play the fool I could force one other car to park on the road and probably annoy someone else enough to park there van on the road. My neighbour could also park one of his cars on the road. All of a sudden our cul-de-sac with zero parking issues has 4 extra cars on the road and now we have parking wars occurring.

TL/DR? ...it is easy to make these situations where instead a bit of compromise and thinking of others can stop them even occurring in the first place.

Associate
Peasants that can't afford their own house shouldn't own cars! Am I doing it right?

Anyone can own a car, just dont expect to own a spot outside that isn't yours.

So they have no right to park outside their house? So what? It’s called being neighbourly, you chose to park outside and not in the many other spaces down the street. If you want to cause friction with your neighbours, your well on the way to doing it.

Did you knock on the door at 6am?

‘Hi, you live in affordable housing and don’t own the parking space outside your home...’

Missing the point again. Why would I park my car on a road when theres a place available off the road which I've done for years? Logic - I'll park my car on the side of a road just incase someone over there decides they want a car parking space outside of their house I wasn't even aware owned a vehicle :rolleyes:.

There has never been any bother with my car being parked there other than last night, and I wasn't aware that he even owned a car - I've never seen it parked there until it was parked behind my car but to be fair I don't really take much notice outside the house this time of year when its dingy and dark.

No I didn't bother but I will be parking my car there tonight if available, but if not I'll park on the other side :).

Well yeah, its an affordable housing owned by social housing, it doesn't come with its own drive and just because it lacks one doesn't give it the privilege to claim the one outside that is for use to everybody.

I love how t'old Johnny here goes on about entitlement after saying because they rent they shouldn't be parking on the street.

Nothing stopping parking at the end of his driveway without inconveniencing his neighbours.

You're right there isn't anything stopping me, but why would I when theres a park over the road that for 3 years until last night there has been no problem? It's not like i parked there intentionally to claim his spot or anything, its a tempory parking arrangement and wasn't even aware others used it - I've literally never noticed his car there. The fact he's been a knob about it though makes me want to park there more rather than than being courteous.

Quote me where I've said they can't park on the estate exactly or are you just spinning ****? They can park where they want I don't own the street, and I certainly don't believe im entitled to any of it. If they park there then no biggie as stated I'll park elsewhere - just don't be a ******* and park behind my car?

Man of Honour
To be honest there still isn't a problem apart from in your head. The person behind you has probably thought the same as the rest of us you're not blocked in so there's no issue.

Soldato
My road consists of several blocks of semis and space for one car outside each. Off road parking is okay apart from most houses have shared driveways, but what really boils my urine is when some idiot parks in the middle and takes up 2 spaces.

I don't understand hope people can be so vacant-minded to not realise how much of a pain in the arse it causes. Sometimes have to park 50+ yards away, which for me is mostly fine, but for people with kids/shopping is quite awkward.

Is the YPLAC site still a thing these days?

Associate
To be honest there still isn't a problem apart from in your head. The person behind you has probably thought the same as the rest of us you're not blocked in so there's no issue.

Possibly so, it's not something I would do if there was parking elsewhere though but guess I'm just different.

Associate
I don't understand hope people can be so vacant-minded to not realise how much of a pain in the arse it causes. ?

Some people just aren't on the same planet sometimes. I have a double driveway and plenty of space on the road outside as there are no houses opposite us (just fields). With a completely clear road and loads of space to park all over the place some numpty once parked right across my driveway blocking my cars in. Turns out he was visiting a house round the corner and his excuse was that he didn't see the driveway (its got a dropped curb and double garage in it, he must have had his eyes closed). He got an earful when he returned.

Soldato
OP
So you are going to add another car to a street that already has parking problems..... you the man

The net effect would be 0. If my main car is there (+1), this one will be on the grass (-1). If my main car isn't there (-1) the holder will be there (+1).

All in all, I am just ensuring I save myself a place so that I don't have to park on the verge.

As a side note, it is amusing to read of everybody else's parking pests.

Soldato
So you’re prepared to shuffle cars just in the hope that your neighbors get a message? I reckon within a few weeks the pain of doing this will wear thin, the neighbor won’t have noticed and you’ll be stuck with a car that didn’t you want or need?

Soldato
OP
So you’re prepared to shuffle cars just in the hope that your neighbors get a message? I reckon within a few weeks the pain of doing this will wear thin, the neighbor won’t have noticed and you’ll be stuck with a car that didn’t you want or need?

I am going to shuffle cars so that I don't have to park my main car on the verge. Did you not read the thread?

Permabanned
OP, I support your cause I really do, but this doesnt change these facts:-

1) Each time you come home you are going to have to mess around swapping cars
2) this will cause extra noise and disturbance
3) You are going to look an utter fandan, put the shoe on the other foot and imagine if it was your neighbour using a car as a place holder, then swapping each time he left, and each time he came home.
4) All the faffing is going to get old, REALLY fast. (you are tired, just want in the house, its cold, you are hungry etc)
5) Why not just put your wheely bins out onto the road, and leave them there instead? You can swiftly just fire them back on your drive in seconds surely?

If I saw my neighbour doing all the faffing above, I would think what an absolute anal retard, has this guy lost his marbles etc etc.

How about a stack of fake plastic bricks that look like they weigh a ton, but light enough you can just lift and move onto the drive?

Also if the neighbour wanted to be even more of a tool, he would surely report you to the council for parking up on a verge?

Soldato
EBE12D22-FB94-41F7-90BA-7049A6B5C550_zpsqgkbbbl9.jpeg

Soldato
I am going to shuffle cars so that I don't have to park my main car on the verge. Did you not read the thread?

I did read your post, did you not read my reply which summarised the angst that you’d go through each and every time you leave and arrive?

What happens when you're mid swapping cars around and someone nabs the space meaning you need to park both cars on the verge?

This, if I was the neighbour and got the message I’d whizz out there mid swap and park my car in the recently vacated space :D

Man of Honour
We used to suffer from a local business estate that didn't have enough parking and would come and use up all the spaces. Was ok most of the time as I left as they arrived but as there was a garage they'd be in work on Saturdays which caused some stress if you popped out in the morning then couldn't park (there was no other parking for about 1/2 mile around).

Complained to the garage manager & manufacturer but they didn't care so did the only logical thing and moved 180miles away to get a nice private drive and double (usable!) garage, bliss!

Permabanned
Peasants that can't afford their own house shouldn't own cars! Am I doing it right?

People that rent should automatically have less rights than people who own, its just logical. If you are just a renter, then you have less stake in the surrounding environment, UNLESS you had a German style system whereby you had 10+ year rental agreement in place, then I think you could argue for an equal standing.

Tingle, are the "opponents" renters or do they own their house like you?

I wish you could update the thread with pics, it would be absolutely hilarious. You could get an old Jag, which would be so long it might poke out into another universe.

Caporegime
Don't you have clouds to yell at?

Edit: this is literally the English version of "get off my lawn" - christ the pettiness is fantastic, some of the folks in this thread have this passive aggression absolutely perfected, over what, a bit of asphalt? Come on fellas, get a grip, you look like a bunch of tossers from here :D

Man of Honour
Came home to my car plastered in "please do not park here" notes, no clue to which house has a problem though so I'll have to wait until they grow enough balls to come and knock on the door before I tell them to toddle off.

Back
Top Bottom