Spec me a car to use as a parking space holder

Caporegime
I agree, that would be amusing. My old man was a bus driver on PMT for 35 years, and he's turned up at our house, in a small side street, on more than a few occasions in a bloody huge double decker to grab some snappin or a brew - on occasions he even had a bemused passenger or two aboard too. :D
I’ve been annoying my neighbours for years by occasionally nipping home in my artic, even parked it outside overnight a few times. :D

I’d suggest the OP bungs a local haulier a few quid to drop an unmarked trailer there for a few days, that will ruffle a few feathers and once it’s gone, a car being there will seem like small beer. :p

Associate
Isnt the rule should not park within 10m of a junction rather than must not?
Can you show me the law which states parking on a junction is illegal?

Mr 10 cars does this all the time

I stand corrected as theone8181 has said its all in the wording "do not instead of must not"
Must not is a legal requirement where do not is not but is a stupid thing to do.
The Road Traffic Act 1988 states:

A failure on the part of a person to observe a provision of The Highway Code shall not of itself render that person liable to criminal proceedings of any kind but any such failure may in any proceedings (whether civil or criminal, and including proceedings for an offence under the Traffic Acts, the [1981 c. 14.] Public Passenger Vehicles Act 1981 or sections 18 to 23 of the [1985 c. 67.] Transport Act 1985) be relied upon by any party to the proceedings as tending to establish or negative any liability which is in question in those proceedings.

Associate
I’ve been annoying my neighbours for years by occasionally nipping home in my artic, even parked it outside overnight a few times. :D

I’d suggest the OP bungs a local haulier a few quid to drop an unmarked trailer there for a few days, that will ruffle a few feathers and once it’s gone, a car being there will seem like small beer. :p
I'm guessing this is all in jest as you know better ;)

Soldato
I stand corrected as theone8181 has said its all in the wording "do not instead of must not"
Must not is a legal requirement where do not is not but is a stupid thing to do.
The Road Traffic Act 1988 states:

A failure on the part of a person to observe a provision of The Highway Code shall not of itself render that person liable to criminal proceedings of any kind but any such failure may in any proceedings (whether civil or criminal, and including proceedings for an offence under the Traffic Acts, the [1981 c. 14.] Public Passenger Vehicles Act 1981 or sections 18 to 23 of the [1985 c. 67.] Transport Act 1985) be relied upon by any party to the proceedings as tending to establish or negative any liability which is in question in those proceedings.
Personally i think they should drop the should not and just have either must or must not.

Caporegime
Naah, I’ve done the former numerous times and there’s not a huge amount you can do about an uncoupled trailer left on a road so long as it’s got a current MOT and the reflectors at the rear are facing the right way.... ;)

if you are ever in glasgow I'd love for you to drop a trailer across from me. i give mr 10 cars 3 months before he moves house.

Associate
I'm in a sharing mood so might as well share my parking dispute and resolution of a number of years ago.

Back in 2009 I moved in with my partner to a 2 up 2 down terrace house on a narrow street (ex pit houses). At the time I had several vehicles which I used to keep at my previous house but as I'm a relatively rational and sane person I arranged alternative storage for these vehicles and we only ever had our 2 daily drives on the street (or on the main road should the street have been full as it often was).

After a few months it appeared that a chap over the road had started dabbling in buying garbage cars doing them up a bit then flogging them on. He wasn't working on them on the street but was storing them there. Including a White Porsche 924 with what sounded like bottom end failure, this vehicle took up residence right outside our front window and remained there, it was always taxed, MOT'd and insured so no reason for the authorities to get involved. It was annoying but hey it wasn't "my" parking space. Things then got much worse they ended up with a veritable fleet of I can only assume the garbage he couldn't sell on! His fat goon son had a multi colour MK1 Focus crudbox, his hippocrocopig missus an MX-5 (with gaffer tape on the fabric hood) and a SsangYong Musso then he had a Jag XJ, a Kia Pride and the aforementioned 924 which was still positioned bang outside our window then whatever other garbage he bought to bodge and punt on. It seemed they thought that they owned the street and they used to shuffle and space the fleet out when going out so that they had space reserved for their return.

It would seem that he was quite a meek chap but his wife and son were massive *********, as when I politely asked him if he'd mind moving the 924 when he could as it was a bit of an eyesore. He sort of nodded and went on his way to which I thought well he's dismissed me and that's not likely to ever shift.
How wrong was I!? 10 minutes later hippocrocopig and fat goon son show up at front door and she starts screaming, shouting, ranting and raving at me that I don't own the street and that the Porsche was a classic car, that it was valuable and that if anything happened to it I would be held responsible and they would not be moving it.
I meekly mentioned that it would be nice if they could perhaps look into storing some of their cars elsewhere as parking was at a bit of a premium on the street to which I was met with yet another tirade of abuse and spittle along with threats of violence from the oversized orc of a son before they stormed off triumphantly and I retreated back into the house with my tail between my legs.

After this it seemed that every time we left the house we were being watched, hippocrocopig used to sit in the window overseeing her fantastic terraced house kingdom sneering at the poor bespectacled man she had viciously verbally beaten to a pulp.

I got on with my life for a few months trying to put it out of my mind, however the little passive aggressive chimp in the back of my mind couldn't give it up and thus my "revenge".
My old man had a haulage yard at the time (where I used to store all my vehicles) and he had a rather rusty high-cube transit which was used so rarely that it was only taxed when required. It had about 8 months MOT on it (from Stevie Wonder I assume) and my god it was an unsightly beast and ultimately went to scrap when it's ticket expired.

My missus and I had bought some new rather swish Ikea furniture and rather than hiring a van to collect it and take the old crap to tip (you could take commercial vehicles into the local recycling centre back then if you called first) I decided I'd tax the van and cash it in when i was finished.

New Swedish furniture puzzles delivered and old furniture tipped I returned home with the 2.5di rattly monster to start assembly and await my beloved OH to come home so we could go get rid of the monstrosity back to the yard, out of sheer luck it appeared the hippo, meek husband and goon son were all out in a vehicle each leaving a convenient space right outside their front window. My rational head said no but the passive aggressive monkey took over and said high-cube transit was positioned smack outside their window, and it was glorious! It not only eliminated any natural light reaching their front room, it totally blocked their view of the street in both directions and took up 2 of their precious parking spaces and it was all done under the cover of darkness, it was the perfect crime!

I danced around the lounge in celebration. And gleefully observed the flailing arms, looking through windows and general dismay when they all eventually arrived home. I also denied I knew anything about the van when hippocroc came knocking at my door (I was slightly worried she might have spotted the Ford key on the sideboard in the lounge as we had a VW and an Audi at the time). I cleared it with my Dad and that was it decision made, the van was staying there even if it meant less parking on the street I would happily park my car on the main road. The van was mysteriously damaged several times at night (mirror knocked off, keyed etc) but it didn't matter to me or my dad, it wasn't going through another test and wasn't being missed.

It also would appear that some horrid individual had sussed their households personal details and was requesting various cosmetic surgery brochures, male incontinence samples, erectile dysfunction information, fixed fee divorce information packs for them (I only knew this due to the post mans uncanny ability to miss-deliver *wink wink ;)).

After a few months my OH and I decided we would like to start a family and before we did move to a more suitable location to raise a family. We part exchanged the house against a brand new property which was convenient as that horrid transit surely would have made a sale difficult. New property has a decent driveway and garage where we lived happily ever after (so far).

The transit did it's job moving us into the new house (had to bump start it though after being stood for just over 4 months) funnily enough hippocrocopig never came to give me what for when she saw me loading stuff into the van.

Think what you may of me but if I ever read a parking dispute I think about the petty actions of my former neighbour and myself during our dispute and smile, I've grown up a bit though since then and probably wouldn't do it again.

TLDR: douche-bag neighbours provoked me into being a massive douche-bag and I moved house to get away from it!

Caporegime
I'm in a sharing mood so might as well share my parking dispute and resolution of a number of years ago.

Back in 2009 I moved in with my partner to a 2 up 2 down terrace house on a narrow street (ex pit houses). At the time I had several vehicles which I used to keep at my previous house but as I'm a relatively rational and sane person I arranged alternative storage for these vehicles and we only ever had our 2 daily drives on the street (or on the main road should the street have been full as it often was).

After a few months it appeared that a chap over the road had started dabbling in buying garbage cars doing them up a bit then flogging them on. He wasn't working on them on the street but was storing them there. Including a White Porsche 924 with what sounded like bottom end failure, this vehicle took up residence right outside our front window and remained there, it was always taxed, MOT'd and insured so no reason for the authorities to get involved. It was annoying but hey it wasn't "my" parking space. Things then got much worse they ended up with a veritable fleet of I can only assume the garbage he couldn't sell on! His fat goon son had a multi colour MK1 Focus crudbox, his hippocrocopig missus an MX-5 (with gaffer tape on the fabric hood) and a SsangYong Musso then he had a Jag XJ, a Kia Pride and the aforementioned 924 which was still positioned bang outside our window then whatever other garbage he bought to bodge and punt on. It seemed they thought that they owned the street and they used to shuffle and space the fleet out when going out so that they had space reserved for their return.

It would seem that he was quite a meek chap but his wife and son were massive *********, as when I politely asked him if he'd mind moving the 924 when he could as it was a bit of an eyesore. He sort of nodded and went on his way to which I thought well he's dismissed me and that's not likely to ever shift.
How wrong was I!? 10 minutes later hippocrocopig and fat goon son show up at front door and she starts screaming, shouting, ranting and raving at me that I don't own the street and that the Porsche was a classic car, that it was valuable and that if anything happened to it I would be held responsible and they would not be moving it.
I meekly mentioned that it would be nice if they could perhaps look into storing some of their cars elsewhere as parking was at a bit of a premium on the street to which I was met with yet another tirade of abuse and spittle along with threats of violence from the oversized orc of a son before they stormed off triumphantly and I retreated back into the house with my tail between my legs.

After this it seemed that every time we left the house we were being watched, hippocrocopig used to sit in the window overseeing her fantastic terraced house kingdom sneering at the poor bespectacled man she had viciously verbally beaten to a pulp.

I got on with my life for a few months trying to put it out of my mind, however the little passive aggressive chimp in the back of my mind couldn't give it up and thus my "revenge".
My old man had a haulage yard at the time (where I used to store all my vehicles) and he had a rather rusty high-cube transit which was used so rarely that it was only taxed when required. It had about 8 months MOT on it (from Stevie Wonder I assume) and my god it was an unsightly beast and ultimately went to scrap when it's ticket expired.

My missus and I had bought some new rather swish Ikea furniture and rather than hiring a van to collect it and take the old crap to tip (you could take commercial vehicles into the local recycling centre back then if you called first) I decided I'd tax the van and cash it in when i was finished.

New Swedish furniture puzzles delivered and old furniture tipped I returned home with the 2.5di rattly monster to start assembly and await my beloved OH to come home so we could go get rid of the monstrosity back to the yard, out of sheer luck it appeared the hippo, meek husband and goon son were all out in a vehicle each leaving a convenient space right outside their front window. My rational head said no but the passive aggressive monkey took over and said high-cube transit was positioned smack outside their window, and it was glorious! It not only eliminated any natural light reaching their front room, it totally blocked their view of the street in both directions and took up 2 of their precious parking spaces and it was all done under the cover of darkness, it was the perfect crime!

I danced around the lounge in celebration. And gleefully observed the flailing arms, looking through windows and general dismay when they all eventually arrived home. I also denied I knew anything about the van when hippocroc came knocking at my door (I was slightly worried she might have spotted the Ford key on the sideboard in the lounge as we had a VW and an Audi at the time). I cleared it with my Dad and that was it decision made, the van was staying there even if it meant less parking on the street I would happily park my car on the main road. The van was mysteriously damaged several times at night (mirror knocked off, keyed etc) but it didn't matter to me or my dad, it wasn't going through another test and wasn't being missed.

It also would appear that some horrid individual had sussed their households personal details and was requesting various cosmetic surgery brochures, male incontinence samples, erectile dysfunction information, fixed fee divorce information packs for them (I only knew this due to the post mans uncanny ability to miss-deliver *wink wink ;)).

After a few months my OH and I decided we would like to start a family and before we did move to a more suitable location to raise a family. We part exchanged the house against a brand new property which was convenient as that horrid transit surely would have made a sale difficult. New property has a decent driveway and garage where we lived happily ever after (so far).

The transit did it's job moving us into the new house (had to bump start it though after being stood for just over 4 months) funnily enough hippocrocopig never came to give me what for when she saw me loading stuff into the van.

Think what you may of me but if I ever read a parking dispute I think about the petty actions of my former neighbour and myself during our dispute and smile, I've grown up a bit though since then and probably wouldn't do it again.

TLDR: douche-bag neighbours provoked me into being a massive douche-bag and I moved house to get away from it!

the fact they damaged it after they warned you if something happened to theirs I would have been tempted to do all their tyres in.

Soldato
park wars are not nice and they are also stupid especially if its single sided, but after all the money you spend on your home etc it would actually be nice to park outside it especially if you have shopping or furniture, its ignorance to expect those people to have to walk the stuff from another street, this is why certain people cone their area.

while this is a stupid thread, suggesting to move house is even more stupid, the OP could buy a car for less than £500 and at any time, you cant just up and leave a home whenever you feel like it, theres selling the house, spending the fees, buying another house and all the fees etc or ending a renting agreement, finding somewhere else and doing all those fees etc, not to mentioned the current house location was chosen for a reason and while all this is in process which could take months, the car war stuff will still be going on, so you be back to square one anyways.

if you going to make suggestions for stuff like this atleast be realistic :rolleyes:

Soldato
Sonny want to borrow any spare taxis I have sitting in the yard

All taxed insured and road legal Mr 10 cars sounds like a nugget

Christ I felt bad over Xmas having a couple of spare taxis parked at the house and overhanging the neighbours frontage (who doesn't drive) by a foot

Caporegime
Sonny want to borrow any spare taxis I have sitting in the yard

All taxed insured and road legal Mr 10 cars sounds like a nugget

Christ I felt bad over Xmas having a couple of spare taxis parked at the house and overhanging the neighbours frontage (who doesn't drive) by a foot

thanks for the offer but it's in jest it would only add to the issues. the guy on the corner already has to park his car miles away from his house.

i'm just amazed by the ignorance of him tbh. he has 4 personal for himself if you include the van which stores his motorbikes (6 series, toyota and lexus) and the best bit is one of them he's never used once since he bought it and the only one he keeps on his driveway likely because it's SORN. then all the additional work vans and his families cars it's ridiculous. his house is on a junction too so when he's parked all across it i've seen a few near misses with people coming round the corner onto the junction and they cant see anyone on the other side due to the parking on the junction.

Associate
No worries. I was a bit of a douche for doing it, I'm mellower now. Even had another neighbour from hell at the current address (fortunately she's moved on) and didn't resort to petty revenge despite how satisfying it could have been.

Soldato
Parking drives me nuts where I live :mad:

Many times I stay in just because I know I will not be able to park my car when I return if I go out..
There a house 2 doors up where the boyfriend of a girl owns 2 work vans and 2 cars which he parks on the road outside my house, and there nothing I can do about his 2 work vans as it on street parking :(

Soldato
This is why I paid for a dedicated parking space when I moved into an apartment. Naturally there's about half the number of spaces as there are apartments, and no visitors parking. There's permit parking on the street outside which is also general town centre pay and display. You still get selfish random so and so's who will use my space when I nip out for 15 minutes. You leave them a note asking them to knock on or call when they move the car and it gets ignored. So now I block them in to return the inconvenience in a way they'll understand. The "excuses" are ... terrible.

Them : "Where am I supposed to park, the street is full up?"
Them : "I've just moved in and don't have a permit."
Them : "I assumed it was a visitors space." (blatant lie)

"Sorry but that's not my problem. I own the space, it's clearly marked, please don't use it without my permission. Now move your car."

Soldato
Where I work we used to have 2 car parks, then the lease ran out on one of them while we were being taken over and it couldn't be renewed for legal reasons.

For a short periodn a lot of our staff had to park anywhere they could look in the local area, there's roughly 800 employees on site.

The locals were not happy

It's the music that cracks me up.

You can understand the residents getting ****** off. If it's a small office then fair enough, but 800 potential cars descending onto nearby residential streets is ridiculous. It's times like this the council should be able to fine the site owners for not providing adequate parking for the number of seats they're hosting. Or even closing down the premises until things like parking is resolved.

Great story, i do love a bittersweet story when revenge is served.

It's the entitlement from people that really ****** me off. Had the guy not been a complete ***** and only had one of his vehicles there, or occasionally swapped them around, then none of it would have ever started. Even worse that he had to get his missus to have a whinge at you about it. And then when they (obviously them) vandalised it because it was sat right in front of their window.

This is why I paid for a dedicated parking space when I moved into an apartment. Naturally there's about half the number of spaces as there are apartments, and no visitors parking. There's permit parking on the street outside which is also general town centre pay and display. You still get selfish random so and so's who will use my space when I nip out for 15 minutes. You leave them a note asking them to knock on or call when they move the car and it gets ignored. So now I block them in to return the inconvenience in a way they'll understand. The "excuses" are ... terrible.

Them : "Where am I supposed to park, the street is full up?"
Them : "I've just moved in and don't have a permit."
Them : "I assumed it was a visitors space." (blatant lie)

"Sorry but that's not my problem. I own the space, it's clearly marked, please don't use it without my permission. Now move your car."

You need to get one of those collapsible bollards installed, they might be a pain to have to lock/unlock each time you go out, but would certainly save the hassle. The flat we're currently renting also has a private space for us personally, and out of 3 years i reckon we've had about 10-12 people who've parked there when we've returned, thankfully most have gone within a few hours. We only had the one that stayed overnight, so left a snotty note on their windscreen - there's plenty of parking on the road, and some visitor bays around the back, this was just pure laziness of this person. Unfortunately for us it looks like they took out the collapsible bollards years ago, a few spaces still have the mountings in place.

Soldato
You need to get one of those collapsible bollards installed, they might be a pain to have to lock/unlock each time you go out, but would certainly save the hassle. The flat we're currently renting also has a private space for us personally, and out of 3 years i reckon we've had about 10-12 people who've parked there when we've returned, thankfully most have gone within a few hours. We only had the one that stayed overnight, so left a snotty note on their windscreen - there's plenty of parking on the road, and some visitor bays around the back, this was just pure laziness of this person. Unfortunately for us it looks like they took out the collapsible bollards years ago, a few spaces still have the mountings in place.

I'd rather not have to resort to that, but I take the point. I walk to work so the car spends 99% of the time in the space. When it tends to occur it's a weekday daytime. Parking space thieves probably assume the car is at a workplace until 5pm so it's safe.

Back
Top Bottom