Spec me a CCTV System

Soldato
Could anyone give me the best option for a total home system?

It seems that not one company, that i've come across so far, do it all.

I'm looking for something like Ring, but which has decent 4k cameras like HikVision and supports PIR/Glass Detection etc.

I'm trying to keep it simple to just one app. It'd be nice to use Ring if they had 4K CCTV but they don't.

I've seen HikVision do home security systems plus CCTV, is that my best bet? How fluid is the Hik Connect app? Never used Ring but I imagine its fluid and easy for entire family to use? Wondering if HikConnect app is the same?

Also would Ring be safer for accessing the app than HikVision? In terms of outsiders being able to access it - I've heard HikVision needs frequent firmware updates.

Thanks
Ajax plus Dahua or Hikvision. I don’t know why you think Hikvision require a high number of updates but in general you get 1 or 2 firmware updates over the life of the camera. I’ve installed many cameras that never had a firmware update.

Soldato
Well my parents have been away for all of three days, so far we have had a very confused carer who was lost and two incidents of trespass from a neighbour who we now know not only walks his dog in the garden, but goes through the bins! My initial apprehension about spending more on a Hikvision kit has been replaced with a feeling of satisfaction as we now know what goes on at the property when it’s not occupied. It’ll be getting an extra camera or two next time I am down, and I am ordering extra kit for the next property this week.

My thanks again to @WJA96 for his advice :)

Soldato
It's amazing what goes on during the night, this week I've seen a drunk man stubble around at our gate and someone check to see if our car is locked, all because of the CCTV colour at night.

Soldato
Yeah, I've caught so much wildlife action too even though I'm pretty urban. Pairs of foxes dancing and prancing around playing with each other, as well as taking big dumps when they think no one is watching, hedgehogs scuttling about, magpies nose diving our back door to catch bugs on the wall :D

Soldato
Anyone know an easy way of changing settings such as line crossing remotely with Hik cameras? I’ve quite a few systems installed for people and you always have those few that want it tweaked. Never happy. Pain in the backside having to go and make the change.

Soldato
I am looking for help in what to buy to time lapse a new building development next to my house.

I currently have 2off 4MP IP DS-2CD2347G1-LU ColorVu Hikvision Fixed Turrets monitoring my house connected to a Synology with Surveillance Station. This works very well.

This is me standing 1/3 of the way up the field looking back at my house..

I am thinking to hire a spider cherry picker (not sure if thats right name) as conservatory below it and install right at top of gale end for max height

Questions
Is location of camera ok or should I put higher on a pole?
Any better suggestions how to access top of gable end than a cherry picker?
What camera would be best for this? I like Hikvision
I would like to use Surveillance Station but unsure if it can do very long time lapses?
Maybe I could get camera to just save pics direct to Synology?
What interval should I use? Its 90 houses so I expect this to take 1- 2 years

I probably need to get moving with this as they are already marking field and diggers could roll in any day.

Cheers
I did similar but on a much smaller scale for an architect a few years back, I had the cameras uploading a still to an FTP server every few hours. All configured directly on the camera. Proved a reliable set up. If no or unreliable internet then you’d probably want a local FTP server like your Synology.

Soldato
@Avalon any chance you could share some screens of the footage in daytime / night time? Interested in grabbing some for myself. Cheers
Yep, i'll dig up a day/night/night with LED comparison for you tomorrow from when I set it up. From memory the picture is significantly better without the LED's on at night, but that's in a pitch black environment with only two small LED solar garden lights on.

Soldato
Ajax plus Dahua or Hikvision. I don’t know why you think Hikvision require a high number of updates but in general you get 1 or 2 firmware updates over the life of the camera. I’ve installed many cameras that never had a firmware update.

Thanks. So you'd say the HikConnect app is quite smooth and easy to use?

No idea on the firmware, just where I ordered from had a forum and they mentioned multiple times to stay ontop of firmware updates like at least once a year because backdoors get exposed? I'm not sure.

Is there a specific place to order from as I'm aware Hikvision stopped selling some of their stuff unless you're a professional cctv installer? I have had HikVision before and set it up but never used the HikConnect app/allowed it to be accessed remotely via an app.

Any recommended Hikvision doorbell too?

Soldato
Thanks. So you'd say the HikConnect app is quite smooth and easy to use?

No idea on the firmware, just where I ordered from had a forum and they mentioned multiple times to stay ontop of firmware updates like at least once a year because backdoors get exposed? I'm not sure.

Is there a specific place to order from as I'm aware Hikvision stopped selling some of their stuff unless you're a professional cctv installer? I have had HikVision before and set it up but never used the HikConnect app/allowed it to be accessed remotely via an app.

Any recommended Hikvision doorbell too?

Hikvision is the trade only brand, HiLook is the prosumer/budget brand, if you scroll back a page or so WJA96 pointed out some of the differences in terms of app/NVR capabilities. Seemingly the official policy is UK stock can only be sold to trade installers, grey market stock appears everywhere eg eBay and the difference tends to be obvious in most cases, firmware updates being the major one. The Hik-COnnect app works well enough for monitoring, alerts, playing back and jumping to events, notifications push through in about 12-15 seconds from testing, it's generally been quick enough for me to scare the crap out of whoever has decided to come onto the property and the alerts and playback seems smooth, even if the on-screen playback jumps a little (remote upload speed is crap) if you record it via the app to local storage, playback is silky smooth.

Doorbell wise Hikvision produce them for several different brands worldwide, cross flashing is a thing, and each brands firmware seems to support a slightly different range of features. The easiest to get hold of in the UK cheaply is EZVIZ, but i'd suggest doing your own research on that, start with this: https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/new-rca-hsdb2a-3mp-doorbell-ip-camera.31601/page-101#post-412577

Associate
I am looking for help in what to buy to time lapse a new building development next to my house.

I currently have 2off 4MP IP DS-2CD2347G1-LU ColorVu Hikvision Fixed Turrets monitoring my house connected to a Synology with Surveillance Station. This works very well.

This is me standing 1/3 of the way up the field looking back at my house..

I am thinking to hire a spider cherry picker (not sure if thats right name) as conservatory below it and install right at top of gale end for max height

Questions
Is location of camera ok or should I put higher on a pole?
Any better suggestions how to access top of gable end than a cherry picker?
What camera would be best for this? I like Hikvision
I would like to use Surveillance Station but unsure if it can do very long time lapses?
Maybe I could get camera to just save pics direct to Synology?
What interval should I use? Its 90 houses so I expect this to take 1- 2 years

I probably need to get moving with this as they are already marking field and diggers could roll in any day.

Cheers
Any advise on which camera may be best would be a good start for me. the Hikvision cameras I have I think are 4MP, would I be better with 8MP or higher for this?

Soldato
I've not tested them, but in my research they seem to offer a premium price, for decent, but not stellar kit. However where they may shine is their software integration into your unifi setup. I'm not bought into that ecosystem though, so I'm not sure how good their software and mobile app is.

I hear stock has been really spotty the last year or two, with it being very difficult to get the cams. They come into stock and then are gone straight away by people using stock bots.

I was tempted to try them, but considering I could get 3 x 4k Hik cameras for the same price as a single G4 Pro, I decided to go Hik for now.

I am still tempted to try one or two at some point though as the Hik software isn't amazing.

Soldato
the hikvision certainly look a more likely option, given the price difference.

Which are best to go for to cover outside of a property ?
they will be mounted up around 5m under the soffit if that makes any difference ?

Soldato
I need to upgrade our internal/ external Cameras and add in a few more (8 more)
We have a https://www.hikvision.com/uk/products/Turbo-HD-Products/DVR/Pro-Series/DS-7216HUHI-K2/ Am I best going for 16 x 8mp or 16 x 5mp for the extra FPS. It also says upto 32 network cameras. is there an upper MP limit on those.
These need to be evidential quality for a licensed premises.

Then
Any recommendations on hikvision cameras. Ideally dome anti vandal.

Soldato
I'm trying to find out if a quote I've received is ok.

It's for 3 hilook colour vue 5mp cameras, 1tb NVR £720.

It depends on what the quote is actually for and if it’s supply or presumably supply/fit/set-up? I just grabbed a Hikvision DS-2CD2347G2’s for £85 and £110-120 is easily possible for the LSU/SL, a 7604-NI-K1/4P(b) inc 4TB is £107 delivered via eBay. The HILOOK COLORVU 5MP IPC-T259H is £75/camera for a 5mp ColorVu, so probably £400 for labour? Only you know how awkward the install is, but it doesn’t seem cheap.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It depends on what the quote is actually for and if it’s supply or presumably supply/fit/set-up? I just grabbed a Hikvision DS-2CD2347G2’s for £85 and £110-120 is easily possible for the LSU/SL, a 7604-NI-K1/4P(b) inc 4TB is £107 delivered via eBay. The HILOOK COLORVU 5MP IPC-T259H is £75/camera for a 5mp ColorVu, so probably £400 for labour? Only you know how awkward the install is, but it doesn’t seem cheap.

Any risks from buying on there? Like dodgy firmware of something? Has such thing been heard of if anyone knows?

Soldato
Thank you, Seems to be £400 in gear and £300 labour. It's a mid terrace install with the hardest part running the cable through the floor from the front living room to dining room for the rear camera. Waiting on an estimate/quote coming back from another installer but hes using Dahua.

Back
Top Bottom