Spec me a cheap OBD II tool

Caporegime
Looking for something that'll scan and clear an SRS fault light on my 1999 V70 - triggered it by cleaning under the seat and disconnecting a wire without disconnecting the battery first :o - I've got an iPhone so using that is out (Torque uses android afaik)

Seen plenty on flea bay but quite a few won't work with Ovlovs apparently.

Cheaper the better, any recommendations appreciated. :)

Caporegime
OP
SRS sytems aren't EOBD, so the cheap readers won't do anything.

Ahh, a guy at work has a cheap eBay type one which resets his SRS light, tbh it even lets you mess about with the OBD on Volvo's HGV's (not sure what my employers would say!) he says he got it from eBay but it's got no identification on it whatsoever so identifying which one it is is difficult...

So I'm assuming some must do it but don't know which type....

Try pulling the battery
Tried that overnight, made no difference alas. :/

Soldato
Ahh, a guy at work has a cheap eBay type one which resets his SRS light, tbh it even lets you mess about with the OBD on Volvo's HGV's (not sure what my employers would say!) he says he got it from eBay but it's got no identification on it whatsoever so identifying which one it is is difficult...
Could you ask the guy you know at work if you could use his to reset your light ?

But guessing your most likely many hundreds of miles away from each other most of the time with your kind of job..

Soldato
I ended up picking up a DICE clone off ebay. They're not 'cheap' when compared to a generic bluetooth OBD reader and can be a bit fiddly to get up and running and use but short of buying the real thing they're by far the best option for messing with a Volvo.

Soldato
I got a cheap one for ebay which works with Torque Pro (about £3 off an app store). Works pretty well, just plug it in and connect. You can clear error codes and get live reading from the ECU etc.

Caporegime
OP
Could you ask the guy you know at work if you could use his to reset your light ?

But guessing your most likely many hundreds of miles away from each other most of the time with your kind of job..

He's based in Carlisle, I'm in Stoke on Trent unfortunately.

I ended up picking up a DICE clone off ebay. They're not 'cheap' when compared to a generic bluetooth OBD reader and can be a bit fiddly to get up and running and use but short of buying the real thing they're by far the best option for messing with a Volvo.

Don't suppose you've got a link to the one on eBay have you? :)

Soldato
I have a Delphi DS150e clone. These can be bought from about £70 from eBay.

Sounds like it's going to be easier and cheaper to find local mechanic who could just plug it in and erase the code for £10

Soldato
I have a ELM327 which is well rated, seems they've brought out a new smaller one now too. Only a few quid off eBay, plus a few quid for the Torque Pro app.

Soldato
I have a Delphi DS150e clone. These can be bought from about £70 from eBay.

Sounds like it's going to be easier and cheaper to find local mechanic who could just plug it in and erase the code for £10

Lol?

No garage will simply charge £10 for that.

Cheapest diagnostic test here is £35

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Lol?

It depends if you have a garage you use regularly....surely everyone "into cars" has an arrangement with a local garage for things like this? My village garage would never charge me for plugging in a diag tool and erasing lights/resetting things, as he knows i use him for all my cars MOT's and anything which needs doing which i wont/cant do. Ive always had the same arrangement wherever ive lived.

Soldato
Lol?

Many years ago I had a Vauxhall calibra which had the ABS light showing on the dashboard.
I took it to my local Vauxhall dealer and they plugin there computer thing and told me there was something like an open circuit or a faulty abs sensor on the front left side

And they did not charge me anything..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom