Spec me a desk!

Soldato
Hi all,

I'm trying to find a decent size desk. I don't want any of that pullout keyboard tray rubbish just a flat topped desk for my screen keyboard and mouse. It has to be a decent size though, and must fit all computer gubbins and my books for my degree to work from.

Any suggestions greatfully received. Pics of suggestions would be nice and some sort of idea as to where to get said desk from. PS no 400 quid jobs! :)

Thanks

Soldato
OP
Hey mate, thanks for the reply :)

That one reasonably sturdy? I want something thats going to last my degree time and a bit more if possible:)

Associate
I use this

picture071gi0.jpg

A piece of kitchen worktop from Ikea

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/categories/departments/kitchen/10472/

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S79831622

I have changed the top a few times over the years to fit spaces/change colour, the legs are reusable, and are available in a few colours. The tops are in lots of different styles, can be cut to any shape, this one is 130cm x 80cm and was around £70ish. Its so much more versatile than a normal desk as you can get the shape, width and depth you want, as well as the edge style. I have curved edges on the front, square the rest of the way round and it fits perfectly in my tiny room.

You need to go to a store and order a piece, gets delivered a couple of weeks later.

Plus its super strong and tough as nails.

Soldato
i built my own :) cheeper and the right size and height, i found when i was hunting for a desk they were either too low height or too expensive

Associate
If you just want the basics http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/14630009

May be a "dining table" but I got this to use with my drawing board back in my 2nd year of uni as I needed a cheap surface to put it on but it has slowly evolved into being my computer desk as its the perfect height and size for me (easily fits 2 monitors, console, keyboard mouse, speakers, audio decoder with lots of room for other crap) and is really robust for its cost (was even cheaper 3 years ago). Only thing that annoys me is having no drawers.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got the Mikael desk from Ikea, and recently got the addon unit for it to add shelves. The desk is basic but very sturdy, and has also been dismantled and reassembled a couple of times without any ill effects. Overall I can't complain about it really, it's nothing special, but it does exactly what it sets out to do. (You can also get a glass top for it for about £20-30, which I don't have but personally I think looks very nice.)

Associate
+1 for the Mikael, bargain at 38.99, simple, with only four panels of imitation wood but no messing about with legs and no wobbling.

I added the Signum cable tidy, £12 I think, and the glass top (£15ish) and it is a near perfect desk, lovely and deep, good height and long enough to get my Macbook one end, monitor on the other with oodles of space!

Associate
Will be pretty expensive for such a distance and it doesn't help that the delivery charge isn't effected by the quantity getting delivered, so for getting once desk delivered is the same charge as getting 5, which will make the delivery cost seem even higher.

Back
Top Bottom