:: spec me a distro for media/kodi and NAS

Soldato
Hi guys,

after not being able to use any of my windows licenses from dead laptops, i need a linux distro that i can use on a media pc in my lounge. i was thinking about kodibuntu or whatever its called ;)

requirements:
must be able to run Kodi and all usual file media files
must be able to be used as a NAS accessible around my house - will be left on 24/7
must be able to run teamviewer so i can connect to it from work if needed
must be able to run RAID in some form. i have a load of old disks to put in.

to be honest im a linux noob so i dont really know where to start. i have had a play in the past but never really had a proper need for it.

the pc will be half decent: quad core i5 with 4gb ram and an old 570 gtx in there.

i think i can setup kodi and teamviewer but not really sure how to go about setting up a NAS.

i also have a TV tuner card so not sure if the mythtv route would be worth it or not? ive never really used it much in the past though so not a deal breaker. my family have been using Kodi for quite some time now and i like how i can customise it and split our stuff from my sons stuff using a custom skin i cant recall the name of.

any help appreciated. failing that anyone got a spare win10 serial? :p

Soldato
For a linux n00b just basic Ubuntu would do the job, if Kodi is the primary/sole 'front end' you want then you'll need to set that up to launch automatically but not that hard to do.

For RAID there's 'md' which does software RAID, generally speaking all drives need to be the same though, there's some other options like ZFS (a filesystem that also supports RAID-like setups), or LVM ('JBOD', no redundancy but large pool of storage).

Teamviewer has a linux client, no idea beyond that :p

NAS, assuming you want to share to Windows boxen, you'd need to setup Samba, again fairly simple really.

Soldato
OP
For a linux n00b just basic Ubuntu would do the job, if Kodi is the primary/sole 'front end' you want then you'll need to set that up to launch automatically but not that hard to do.

For RAID there's 'md' which does software RAID, generally speaking all drives need to be the same though, there's some other options like ZFS (a filesystem that also supports RAID-like setups), or LVM ('JBOD', no redundancy but large pool of storage).

Teamviewer has a linux client, no idea beyond that :p

NAS, assuming you want to share to Windows boxen, you'd need to setup Samba, again fairly simple really.

thanks mate. the drives are the same model and make so should be ok. theyve been used in a server in raid before.

Back
Top Bottom