Spec Me a DSLR For Video

Soldato
Although I don't use them a lot, I've always had a DSLR available for certain occasions when a quality camera is called for. I recently asked for advice on a compact camera for video, then realising I should make more use of my DSLR for this.

I currently have a Canon 760D, but have just realised how limited it actually is in it's settings. I can't film higher than 25fps at 1080p, I don't think I can even mess with white balance before recording.

So, what would you recommend? I would rather stay with Canon as I have a few lenses already, but I guess it's not a must. Likewise, 4K is desirable for future proofing, but maybe not essential. At least 60fps at 1080p though. I would have course still be able to use it for stills! I'm not entirely sure on budget either. It must have a screen I can see from in front of the camera, for self recording.

The Canon EOS 5D Mark IV is recommended on a couple of sites, which is probably right up at the top end of my budget, if not too high in fact. Maybe the 80D?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

A really interesting pair of cameras. The footage from the Sony looks amazing and I take his point about the auto focus. That annoys the hell out of me when my Canon is bouncing back and forth. At the same time, I would really like 60fps on the 4k...

Would be better off spending the extra £199 and getting the A7Riii as the difference is minimal for a decent step up.

Damnit. Off I go to YouTube again...

Soldato

A really interesting pair of cameras. The footage from the Sony looks amazing and I take his point about the auto focus. That annoys the hell out of me when my Canon is bouncing back and forth. At the same time, I would really like 60fps on the 4k...

Damnit. Off I go to YouTube again...

Seems like the offer has finished now, with the £300 off it comes down to £2199.

qVr8iEi.jpg

Soldato
OP
With my John Lewis discount, I can get the a7 III for £1,600, which could be the front runner at the moment. I was almost waving back to the GH5 (or GH5S) but watching a couple of videos the auto focus looks pretty bad :(

Soldato
With my John Lewis discount, I can get the a7 III for £1,600, which could be the front runner at the moment. I was almost waving back to the GH5 (or GH5S) but watching a couple of videos the auto focus looks pretty bad :(
Check our Pana moz (one word) A7iii for £1505 with a 3 year UK warranty. :)

Soldato
OP
Pana moz do seem to have good reviews. They have the A7R iii for £340 more too.

Mind you, at JL I get £150 cashback and a £125 Gift Card right now (Plus another 1% if I use my Partnership Card), so maybe I stick with that and the A7 iii

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks, it's just the focus that really worries me. One video it just wouldn't focus on the person in the main of the image, but on the background instead. All the YouTube comments were about this being very common with it.

Soldato
OP
This was one.

Even the thumbnail of that video, you can see she's out of focus and the guys behind are in focus. This goes on as she walks down the street, she's dead centre of the frame.

Soldato
Canon M50 with the native Canon adaptor? Ticks every one of your boxes above, does 4k 24 fps (large crop though), 1080p 60fps and has the lovely dual pixel AF which is superb and can be had for just over £400 new currently with £60 cashback.

I couldn't imagine dropping £2-3k on something I'd use sparingly or just in case.

Soldato
OP
But if I got a good one for video, that is hopefully a bit lighter than my current DSLR then it would get a lot more use for my YouTube channel videos.

Looks like the AF issue was resolved with firmware after that video was released? https://fstoppers.com/gear/are-pana...es-finally-resolved-firmware-update-23-256806

Current firmware is actually 2.5. 2.4 even addressed more AF issues. https://www.panasonic.com/global/consumer/lumix/gh5_firmware.html

Hmm, the price of the GH5 is definitely more along the lines of what I wanted, so hopefully it's fixed. Would be interested if you did a little testing.

Back
Top Bottom