Spec me a gaming laptop with 1080p and 17inch screen please

Associate
So import tax if buying from a usa shop will be around what percentage of the price of the laptop? Do you always get hit with this extra charge or is there a way around it?
If OCUK start getting some asus g73jw in I think they will be selling quite well, I'd be buying one. My only option at the moment is importing which is shame.

Soldato
It's really hard to get away with import tax now by the way as the courier will make you pay for it on delivery. Just lettings you guys know, I received a parcel from the US a few days ago and the guy wouldnt give it to me before I paid the vat :S

Associate
Yep thats without the vat.. sadly! Still a fairly decent price if you take a look about some sites have that particular model at 1899 all in!

Associate
Really love the look of these laptops, where would be the best place to source one from before christmas? Looking over the net and can't seem to find many that are actually in stock and at a decent price range.

Any ideas? Feel free to email if neccessary.

Associate
The 5870 and 460gtx mobile versions are pretty close with the ati having the edge, however the latest nvidia driver releases have supposedly increased the 460gtx performance by 15% or so, so the JW may be the better one to go for now if you can find it anywhere.

Associate
iv been looking at the g73jh too and havnt been able to find any in the uk would an import from the us work fine here what are the differences?
and is it ok to go for a refurb or is that asking for trouble?

Associate
I wanted the jw but i found none for sale in the uk so i settled for the jh.

Any chance you can mail me the location as well please? Use the Msn address as opposed to the other address please, as that account is presently lost according to VM.

So using the gmail account until then. I just can't figure out how to edit the trust option under CP so that the 'no dot spam4 at gmail' is the default address under trust instead of the previous, until I can figure out how to achieve that.

Thanks.

Associate
is it better to buy new asus laptop for 1800 or msi gx740, gx660 for 900 and second hand pc with i7, 5870 + monitor for 700. total 1600 - 1800 ?
thx

Associate
hmmmm.

It looks like ocuk has been listening to us :)

Now, if it was a better price....

Ouch! What a price. Have been looking at importing these (particularly the G53), they do look awesome, love the stealth fighter look. Always a bit wary when importing stuff this expensive, but that price for over here is mad!

is it better to buy new asus laptop for 1800 or msi gx740, gx660 for 900 and second hand pc with i7, 5870 + monitor for 700. total 1600 - 1800 ?
thx

The GX660 isn't far behind the specs of this, bar the 17" monitor, 2gb less ram and the Asus has a quad core CPU. Not a huge amount in it, but double the price!

Soldato
OP
Ouch! What a price. Have been looking at importing these (particularly the G53), they do look awesome, love the stealth fighter look. Always a bit wary when importing stuff this expensive, but that price for over here is mad!

The GX660 isn't far behind the specs of this, bar the 17" monitor, 2gb less ram and the Asus has a quad core CPU. Not a huge amount in it, but double the price!

Upgrade the cpu and ram and suddenly you have a $4000 laptop lol.

Associate
Msi GX660 & GX740 have the ati hd 5870 1gb that is the same card as the asus G73JH. The Asus G73JW has the nvidia GeForce GTX 460M 1.5GB that is better than the nvidia GTS 250M 1gb thats in the msi Gt640. I think the ati 5870 out performs the geforce gtx 460m too.

Back
Top Bottom