Spec me a GPS watch

Associate
Hi folks,

It's my wife's birthday next week.
She's a keen runner and wants a watch that will track her route (elevation etc.) as well as the usual fitness features.

Any recommendations?

Caporegime
I got my GF a Garmin Forerunner 235 for Christmas to replace her old Garmin. She decided to pick that one in part because it has an optical heart rate sensor rather than requiring the chest strap. The Forerunners are more running oriented than some of the others in (at least the) Garmin range. The higher 6** and 7** range has more options but weren’t really relevant for her (semi serious recreational runner).

She now wears it all the time and uses it for other sports. Battery lasts about 5 days of constant use.

Associate
For a runner, Garmin would be the best choice. There are quite a few models depending on budget though.

Forerunner 235 and 735XT are very good.

Caporegime
Yep, lots of options. The 235 is the only one with an optical heart rate monitor built in though. There are questions on accuracy (relative to the chest band) and some people complain about it not working at all for them (presumably physiology) so worth considering when thinking about heart rate monitoring.

Soldato
I have the 735XT. Very plasticky and the glass cracked when I bumped it against the edge of a door + to be honest I don't use half the features on it as I bet most don't depending on how serious you are. Steps, pace, distance and time pretty much suit me. Not bothered about VO2 Max etc. About to switch to the new Apple Watch but only because I have Vitality healthcare through work so get it for £29 (as long as I rack up the points each month!). Will let you know how that goes.

By the way, 735XT doesn't do elevation on the fly, only via Google Maps when you play the route back.

Caporegime
I love my Garmin 935XT, and the Garmin 920Xt before that. You can get refurbed 920Xt really cheap, these are great watches, especially is you ever cycle or swim a little, want to do a longer ultramarathon, or record long hikes.

Be aware that although Garmin and Strava will both give as estimated elevation gain for all watches, only some watches actually have a barometer to measure altitude. This makes a big difference if you live in rolling terrain. The Garmin 735 doesn't have the ability to measure altitude, the 735 and 935 both can. I am not sure of the 235 series.

Optical HR monitoring is basically useful for working out, so i woudln't put much weight on that feature. Their biggest use is measuring HR through the night to get an idea of RHR. When exercising the chest strap is much more accurate.

Back
Top Bottom