Spec me a Laptop ≤ £700 - Optimus IV?

Soldato
Chassis & Display
Optimus Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5 Dual Core Mobile Processor i5-3210M (2.50GHz) 3MB

Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)

Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11

Memory - Hard Disk
120GB KINGSTON V+200 SSD, SATA 6 Gb (535MB/R, 460MB/W)

DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)

Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)

Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING

Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack

Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N135 802.11N (150Mbps) + BLUETOOTH

USB Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD

Battery
Optimus Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)

Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 120W AC Adaptor

Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED

I'm currently looking at this laptop for £670 delivered and I was wondering if I could get a better deal elsewhere. I'm looking to be playing games on it quite frequently and will be travelling with it. I'm after a 15" screen and I wont need an OS with it.

Also, specifically about this laptop, does anyone know if I can simply add another hard drive in it, in addition to the current one?

Thanks,
yhack

Soldato
If you're travelling frequently, the weight may be an issue as these Clevos are pretty heavy.

I have the same machine with a few different specs... I do have a 120GB SSD and another hybrid drive internally so there's definitely space for two. I haven't taken a look around it to see how easily it can be fitted, though.

Soldato
OP
Thanks, I will do some searching for changing hard drives. I've got an SSD on my desktop that I could put in there, that'll save me a bit of money, as long as I can do it easily.

I'm not too worried about the weight, I'll just get stronger.

What kind of battery life do you get from it and how is game performance?

Thanks again :)

Soldato
Battery life, I have no idea. Since I got it it's just remained plugged in on the coffee table for living room gaming. :D

Coped with everything I've thrown at it so far - The Witcher 2 on mostly "High" presets, Arkham City last night, High settings at 1920x1080 is perfectly fine. Just completed Spec Ops: The Line, max settings and not a single stutter. Can't fault it, myself.

Hitman: Absolution gives it a bit of hassle if you max it out but with a bit of tweaking it's spot on at native res.

Soldato
Bump: First game just gave me some gyp the other evening -- Primal Carnage.

Very difficult getting it to a playable state. In fact, I gave up after a couple of rounds and just played Chivalry instead. Will continue to tweak but I'm thinking it's just a poorly optimised game tbh (or something else was going on at the time... I do vaguely remember having to close Firefox as I had a few Youtube windows open and it was causing issues with Chivalry's framerate, too).

Soldato
OP
Thanks, I will have a look at reviews of the graphics card in it. Another option would be to get the Enigma IV, with a screen upgrade to 1920*1080 but with a 650M instead.

I'm not too worried about playing games on medium settings, just as long as it's smooth to play.

Man of Honour
Bump: First game just gave me some gyp the other evening -- Primal Carnage.

Very difficult getting it to a playable state. In fact, I gave up after a couple of rounds and just played Chivalry instead. Will continue to tweak but I'm thinking it's just a poorly optimised game tbh (or something else was going on at the time... I do vaguely remember having to close Firefox as I had a few Youtube windows open and it was causing issues with Chivalry's framerate, too).

The 660m's overclock massively without going above 60C.

Associate
me too,I'm not too worried about playing games on medium settings, just as long as it's smooth to play.thank you,
3.gif

Soldato
Bit of a bump,

Can you overclock the CPU on these laptops much? I'm pretty sure I'm getting one soonish (unless anyone can find a better one..?), will be going for the 2.4 i7, but it's be mint if I could get is above 3.0. :cool:

Soldato
OP
Whats the screen like on these .../Clevo custom laptops? Are they IPS? Are they any good?

It's not IPS, but you can upgrade the standard one to an auo matte 95 gamut one for £79. I have the standard screen and it's quite good, but it depends what you're using it for. I would remove the competitor name from your post too.

Back
Top Bottom