Spec me a large diesel hatchback around £1300

Soldato
The Celica is a gen 7 pre facelift 2002 which I thought was called a mk1 then in 2003 the facelift was a mk2, so no mk1/2 ok then. Its much like a Celica 190 but with the facelift engine I think. I'd guess a spoiler would slow it down anyway?
The facelift mondeo I've seen from 2007, is that a mk3 then. This is confusing lol.

No. Mondeos from mid-2007 are mk4. They got confused above because you said facelift mk4, rather than the mk4 that took over from the mk3.

Soldato
OP
Maybe able get my hands on an 04 Audi a2 1.4d 66k miles. I'm concerned about the 3 cylinders but 60 time is same as Mondeo lol. Does anyone know anything about this unusual Audi?

Soldato
My neighbor is on his second A2 with that engine, absolutely loves it somewhere around 170k miles on the current one!
For that kind of money you're buying on condition anyway so have a thorough going over of it and a decent test drive

Soldato
OP
I'm going look at it Sat with my mechanic who recommended it from someone they know.
It looks too good to be true for the price & 66k miles. I guess rust isn't an issue either.
I've been told the 3cyl diesel is just like driving a normal car so thumbs up there.
Its the 1.4 sport so 90HP? Do they have air-con?
Will be a bit of a shock coming from a low down 190HP car but I've got that bug out my system now.

[Edit]
Just got an insurance quote, expecting to be as impressed as the £30/year tax & its £400 for a 3cylinder 1.4diesel with 89HP & Thatcham alarm compared to my current Celica 190HP with no alarm at £300. How the heck does that compute? Is it because the A2 is aluminium & expensive to fix bodywork?

Last edited:
Soldato
does it have to be a hatch?

Ive a 2.0hdi citroen xsara picasso, its a 78k now. Has plenty of room for the bike. bit of a boring drive but pefectly functional. cheap running costs. Aside from fuel, ive spend less than 500 in the 4 years ive owned it and its gone straight throgh every mot ive put it through. no DMF or DPF either.

as they are so old 1300 should get you a decent one if there is such a thing. lol

Soldato
OP
does it have to be a hatch?

Ive a 2.0hdi citroen xsara picasso, its a 78k now. Has plenty of room for the bike. bit of a boring drive but pefectly functional. cheap running costs. Aside from fuel, ive spend less than 500 in the 4 years ive owned it and its gone straight throgh every mot ive put it through. no DMF or DPF either.

as they are so old 1300 should get you a decent one if there is such a thing. lol

Thanks for offer there tho something economical was a priority.

Soldato
For me with those requirements i say go with a Vectra, Mondeo, Avensis or a Passat estate.
With that lot, might as well throw in the Octavia mk1 - 1.9TDi 130BHP, ASZ engine being the last PD and generally not as probelmatic as other siblings/cousins of similar ilk.
Easy 60mpg on distance journeys without even trying, cavernous boot, lots of fancy features if you get the L&K trim and avoid the VRS side.
Can be had in good nick for about £1100-1300 easy enough. Often less.

Associate
With that lot, might as well throw in the Octavia mk1 - 1.9TDi 130BHP, ASZ engine being the last PD and generally not as probelmatic as other siblings/cousins of similar ilk.
Easy 60mpg on distance journeys without even trying, cavernous boot, lots of fancy features if you get the L&K trim and avoid the VRS side.
Can be had in good nick for about £1100-1300 easy enough. Often less.
Yeah might as well.

Soldato
OP
Yes the Octavia around 2006 looks a good choice though can get a good deal on this 66k mile a2 1.4d sport. Its heater motor is not working so I presume a resistor or motor £60-£280 job? thanks

Soldato
Audi A2 surely doesn't count as a 'large hatchback'? Can you really fit a bike in it?

I remember them as being tiny cars

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Audi A2 surely doesn't count as a 'large hatchback'? Can you really fit a bike in it?

I remember them as being tiny cars
Yeah, they're superminis built for max economy. Amazing cars, very much before their time. They're something you'd really want to have as they're getting old and surely one for £1300 is going to be a ropey example?

Soldato
OP
Getting the A2 in a week if can sell the Celica soon or in 5weeks anyhow. Rear looks big enough for bike less front wheel.
Not mentioning price atm but its a good deal. Good condition, FSH, belt/pump done 2yrs ago. Has aircon & concert cd player. No sunroof but from my research they keep going wrong.
Hope heater motor repair is not a big deal.
I was surprised how acceptable the acceleration was in town for 75hp, although it has more torque than the 190hp Celica lol.
The engine is a VW & also used in the Fabia & Lupo I think.

Going spruce up the Celica now & pop on Autotrader or something.
Will post pics of the A2 when I get it.

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
The A2 isn’t a bad car, it’s a well put together car that imo was well before it’s time. It’s light so drives ok and is quite practical. But having broken A2’s for a number of years prior to 2015, they are showing their age, electrically they can be a pain, steering angle sensors, esp units and body control modules are flaky. So be prepared to get your hands dirty. Engine is solid, turbo can go but that’s the same for any diesel. The most annoying thing is the soft touch plastics, they wear badly on anything you touch, esp switches.

Soldato
OP
Yes the graphics on the climate control buttons are warn, obviously not a deal breaker as I'm not fussed being an older car.
A thumbs up for the engine, yay.
The body is virtually immaculate bar 1sq cm paint bubbling on bonnet.
I needed something economical & reliable, hopefully this A2 will serve me well for a few years.
Will be sad loose the Celica but with having drive 300miles/week it was impractical at 30mpg. Although amazing handling on the road between Leek/Buxton, I'll miss that.

Soldato
The bubbling on the bonnet will be rust, so that will need sorting out before it becomes a hole :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom