1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spec me a lawnmower!

Discussion in 'Home and Garden' started by CSMonkeh, 22 May 2021.

1. 413x

Capodecina

How does it handle wet days?
    It's been so wet here I haven't been able to cut for weeks. Some of the grass is a foot long!

2. Yaayuh!

Capodecina

Both front and back are L shaped (sort of), we have a tree, beds, raised beds, patio and a gate. Not really a problem at all for me, having a cable doesn't seem to get in my way, certainly not enough to warrant me moving to a battery consumable alternative.

My main vacuum is corded too, I still don't find cordless vacuums worth the added consumable of the battery either. Maybe it's just me? Clearly it might be :p

3. sovietspybob

Mobster

They don't notice it at all, they're so small and light they just scamper around as normal and don't churn up the grass or anything. I'll only pause it if it's been a few days of non stop rain and it's started to form puddles which may harm it.

This is what my lawn looks like this morning after lots of days of terribly wet weather, i'd not have been able to cut it for probably 2 weeks if i had a normal mower.

[​IMG]

4. 413x

Capodecina

That's a big lawn for a robot! I'm impressed
    Considered letting some of it go wild? For nature?

5. bainbridge

Mobster

This is my 2nd year using the Aldi Ferrex cordless lawnmower and I can't fault it, it just does exactly what's required with no hassle.

6. sovietspybob

Mobster

Yeah that's only a bit of our lawn, we've got quite a bit of wild round the other side of the house as its nice to see the birds and insects using it all. I also planted 30m of native hedging along with the existing 30m of old hawthorn/blackthorn which we don't cut if we can help it, trying to do our bit for nature. The robot does about 3/8 of an acre i think in a 1/2 acre plot which is well within its comfort zone, i think it mows for 4 hours in the early morning and 3 in the late evening at the moment.

7. Bug One

Capodecina

You need one of these. ;)
    [​IMG]

8. Le Clandestin Brun

Sgarrista

Another vouch for Bosch corded.

I've left a corded Bosch in one of my rental properties which is coming up to 10 years old and is still working fine through multiple tenants.

9. sovietspybob

Mobster

Yeah been there done that, it was fun for a couple of months to drive around in a ride on after i first got it but the novelty wore off pretty quickly! Pushed on for about 2 years with it before i gave in and got a robot and it's a million times better, cheaper too! Couldn't imagine having to actually manually mow the lawn myself now, would feel like such a caveman in comparison.

10. GinG

Sgarrista

If it's only a small lawn have you considered astro?

11. CSMonkeh

Hitman

Update folks;
    Flymo have said it’s 5-6 for replacement batteries and my grass is (was) super long anyway
    Bought myself a Bosch Rotak 320R, and lawn is now mowed.
    Aiming to get refund on the battery flymo
    Many thanks for the suggestions

12. clv101

Capodecina

Do you live on a road where everyone has a small lawn at the front of the house? If so, isn't a bit daft for every house to have individual mowers? Have you asked your neighbours if you could borrow theirs? Anything you could offer in return? Maybe a few other neighbours are also thinking of getting a new mower and you could all chip in and get one between a few households?

13. gort

Wise Guy

The thing is people like to own stuff and it's often not about the money and it's less hassle. Long live consumerism!

14. clv101

Capodecina

It's a sad day when community is equated with hassle. Being reliant, dependent, but also supporting of those around us is important. Today's wealth allows the individual to buy themselves out of these community engagements, likely to our collective cost.