Spec Me A Lens for nighttime illuminations..

Associate
Having done lots of looking around, it appears Im spoilt for choice, so Im looking for some recommendations for a lens, and thought I might get some help in here..

Im fairly new to DSLRs, and am currently using a Nikon D5600 whilst I learn some skills, and in time i will likely switch to a FF model, that may not be for a couple of years yet.

Im going to an outdoor nighttime event ( The Enchanted Forest in Scotland ), in October, and Im thinking I I would like a fast small tele-zoom lens of some kind in order to capture decent pictures of the illuminations in the forest.

I currently have a small selection of lenses., the Kit 18-140, and a Nikon AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G IF ED VR that was kindly donated to me. I also have a Sigma 105mm f2.8 Macro EX DG OS HSM for macro photography, and a Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G Lens, though I find the reach rather short, its an excellent portrait and dog photo lens.

Budget is pretty flexible, but price vs performance and my relative skill level will be taken into consideration.

Thanks!

Man of Honour
A decent tripod and cable release will be of more use than anything. I’ve not done that particular event but it’s likely that the lighting won’t be bright enough to allow a hand-holdable shutter speed, regardless of the lens used.

Soldato
I've thought about the enchanted forest myself. There might be enough light at times to hand hold though I cant be certain. There are some YouTube videos to check.

If you are thinking of going FF sometime then it would be prudent to get a FF lens and take a light tripod with you regardless and use it on a DX.

In answer to your original question, I'm not sure what anybody else would recommend? If it were me I'd be taking a small 1.8 along with an old 50-200 2.8 which I've used for night time shooting at weddings which I bought used.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom