1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spec me a man bench!

Discussion in 'Home and Garden' started by bainbridge, Mar 15, 2020.

1. kaiowas

Capodecina

I went for full overkill, but then I wanted to be able to do metal fabrication, welding and gearbox builds etc on it.

Welded up a frame from 50x50 steel box then put a 10mm steel worktop on it. It's absolutely bomb proof, it's heavy enough that it won't move when smacking stuff with the big hammers.

[​IMG]

Have moved house since making it and I could do with some more bench space so I'm looking at making a couple more in the same style with a slightly less heavy duty worktop.

2. ttaskmaster

Sgarrista

£78 for all the timbers including a load of spares which, together with the offcuts, will be used to make additions, a few end shelves, a drawer or two, and so on...
    Couple of quid for a big box of wood screws and the four coach bolts that hold it all in place (yes, it's a takedown). Vice was £35 off the 'Bay.

The best part of this design is the aprons on either side, which keep it solid by preventing the legs from racking and give you a massive, solid platform to which you can fit pretty much anything - Shelves, tool holders, extensions, or whatever. Drill out a load of dog holes for work holding, or something.

3. SPG

Soldato

Euro pallets make a great bench pop off the tops, cut in half put back the tops without a gap and whatever you want as legs.

4. Abyss

Mobster

I picked up a portable stand from Lidl which is a godsend when using the mitre saw.

[​IMG]

5. Marvt74

Capodecina

If I had a garage that big I’d probably grab one too!

My shed is 14x8 so by the time I have a workbench down one side and storage the other it only leaves around a 3ft walking space down the middle.

6. Puzzled

Soldato

I picked up a heavy duty kitchen table for next to nothing second hand and just added a bit more support to make it rock solid.

I wanted mine to be moveable though not bolted to the wall.

7. Marvt74

Capodecina

@Abyss

I went the easier route!

[​IMG]

Oh and for the OP, here's mine. Probably cost about £30, just some CLS 2x3 and 18mm ply.

[​IMG]

8. Shawy

Hitman

[​IMG]
    I welded mine too, mainly because I wanted to learn to weld. Used a kitchen work top though.

[​IMG]

9. Showboat

Wise Guy

10. bainbridge

Mobster

That is exactly what I want! What is cls? Is it lengths of 2x3 of a certain type of wood?

11. Marvt74

Capodecina

It’s just construction timber.

If you go to any b&q/wicked they’ll have loads of it.

Usually costs about £3/length of 2.4m.

12. NickK

Capodecina

that’s exactly what I did - bonded two lengths to make the legs etc. It’s little soft and may warp as it ages but cheap.