Spec me a mota..

Soldato
So im thinking of selling my Alfa 156... I love the car its been fantastically reliable and I enjoy driving it but I need something more economical and a little cheaper on insurance.

Now I will prob only get 2k for it (Xreg, 48k, 1.8 Veloce) - excellent interior condition and very good outside. Just bought 4 new tyres today for it as the geometry was way out and ruined them all. Taxed early this month and MOT'd in Nov.

I want a car thats in good condition, cheap to insure and a diesel preferably - oh and reliable ! I have a child so a car seat will be used too.

Not after much but im crap with cars so need your guys brain cells to assist !

My budget will be whatever I get for the Alfa.

Soldato
Mondeo, yes i know everyone always says mondeo but there is a reason for that :p

Focus maby?
there is also the alfa romeo 147.edit: nvm you won't get one for 2k

Caporegime
andr3w said:
Mondeo, yes i know everyone always says mondeo but there is a reason for that :p

Focus maby?
there is also the alfa romeo 147.edit: nvm you won't get one for 2k

Avoid the diesel if you get a mondeo for £2k, the 1.8TD is a nasty engine.

Look at 406 Diesels.

Caporegime
For the budget you'll be able to get a higher milage 2.0 HDi if you look around, much less "clattery" than the older 1.9TDi. However don't just dismiss the 1.9TDi if you aren't too bothered by its more "noisy" approach. The engine is mechanically solid, will run forever.

Soldato
OP
paradigm said:
For the budget you'll be able to get a higher milage 2.0 HDi if you look around, much less "clattery" than the older 1.9TDi. However don't just dismiss the 1.9TDi if you aren't too bothered by its more "noisy" approach. The engine is mechanically solid, will run forever.

Thanks for the tips.

Am on autotrader and have seen a few golfs on there within budget - what are they like in comparison ? Have seen a 1.8DGL for sale..

Caporegime
You'll get a much worse (poorly specified, older, less comfortable, cruddy diesel engine) Golf than you'll get any car from PSA (Peugeot/Citroen). Diesels of this age, PSA really did rule the roost so to speak.

/awaits [TW]Fox to back him up...

Soldato
I wouldn't bother trying for a diesel on that budget. Some of the 2.0 petrols give good economy if driven sensibly.

Just to be different I wil recommend a Mazda 626. They are very comfortable and give good MPG. They are large, well equipped and reliable. You should also be able to get a very late one for that budget.

If you are looking for any kind of excitement then I would not buy this.

Soldato
OP
Third Opinion said:
I wouldn't bother trying for a diesel on that budget. Some of the 2.0 petrols give good economy if driven sensibly.

Just to be different I wil recommend a Mazda 626. They are very comfortable and give good MPG. They are large, well equipped and reliable. You should also be able to get a very late one for that budget.

If you are looking for any kind of excitement then I would not buy this.

Interesting - will have a look into those, dont know anything about them apart from they are not exciting !

Soldato
OP
Third Opinion said:
I went from 156 to a 626 for the same reasons as you stated. To be honest it is the best car we have ever owned.

Thanks for your post - cant get much better referral than that.

Will look into it for sure..

What insurance group / mpg do you get ?

Soldato
siloleth said:
Thanks for your post - cant get much better referral than that.

Will look into it for sure..

What insurance group / mpg do you get ?

Insurance Group 9/10

mpg between 35-42 and ours is an auto.

The best bit is they only need an oil change every 9,000 and a service every 18,000 miles.

Back
Top Bottom