Spec me a new 55-60"

Associate
Woke up this morning to find my panny 58 ax802 most likely has dead caps on the power supply. It's done nearly 10 years of service and been a great panel but it's time to retire it to the scrap heap and replace it.

Looking for something in a similar size, obviously OLED 4k UHD HDR etc etc. Ideally below 2k but will go above if it's a massive jump in quality.

Last years model not a problem as don't generally like paying TV tax for the latest.

Something like a Sony master or LG cx spring to mind initially...

Fire away with suggestions please! :)

Associate
OP
Is the gx worth the premium over the cx for the stand or is cx plus additional stand the better option?

I don't game on the living room TV and an hz2000 is mighty tempting but another 1k on top of a cx ain't gonna happen!

Soldato
If you don't game, maybe even look at the LG OLED55BX6LB. Probs with a voucher code can nab that for £1000 and save yourself £300.

Associate
OP
Got to be really although HZ2K if price was the same. Annoyed I need to replace now and not in April!

WAF has green lighted a 65 though so that's pretty much the decision made, just need to shop about for price and install now. Are JL the only place offering nationwide install / recycle old? I've got a broken leg right now so no way will I be swapping then out myself.

Associate
HZ2000 is the best current OLED, though limited to 65" and it's expensive compared to the competition.

LG CX is the best all rounder, though certainly not the best OLED.

Sony has decent motion handling, but their premium is in the inbuilt sound. Who uses TV speakers?!

Associate
OP
Well, about turned and going for an a8h. We don't use a soundbar, don't game on it and not paying an extra 1k for the panny. Looking forward to getting it ordered!

Soldato
Never see the point of dropping loads of money on a tv and using the inbuilt speakers.

Picture quality is obviously nice, but in terms of movies having good sound makes so much more difference. If it was a case of dropping £2000 just on a tv, or £2000 on tv and sound, then for me I'd go tv and sound every time.

Associate
OP
All done and dusted. KD65A8 on its way. Managed without a soundbar for the past 10 years and reckon this should be an upgrade sound wise from my old panny!

Cheers for the rec's! :cool:

Associate
OP
Well, TV arrived on Monday, set it up yesterday. Paying for it today, broken leg was fairly swollen last night and backs sore as well helping the wife lift the old 58 into the garage. No pain no gain! :D

Colour reproduction is astounding, as is the detail. Pretty much the 2 things that swung me to the Sony over an LG. Sound needed a bit of a tweak out of the box but very impressed with the noises it makes.

Felt a bit done last night so only had a quick play with it, fired up Dr. Strange, omfg, insane picture quality! Looking forward to grabbing a bucket load of 4k UHD films off the net and ploughing through them, the amount of immersion It creates is something else. Well chuffed and don't think you could do much better. Even though the ax802 was top of the tree in its day, this just blows it clean out of the water. Winner. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom