Spec me a new gaming mechanical keyboard.

Soldato
So I've just put all my new bits together and realised my new motherboard doesn't have a ps2 socket, DOH!

So while I'm waiting for one of those sucky adapter things to get delivered I'm thinking its time for a new keyboard.

I've been using the same Steelseries mechanical keyboard for roughly 7 years and apart from a borked usb port on it its still solid.

I don't have a budget in mind, it needs to be mechanical, good switches and hopefully comes with a wrist rest. I prefer steelseries but am open to suggestions.

Associate
Just depends what switches you want really, do you have any in mind? Do you like linear/tactile/clicky?

I love Logitech's Romer G Switches, the feel like Browns with a tactile bump but has a low actuation which i like. I'd check out the G513, you can get linear or tactile and the wrist rest is one of the best you can get!

Associate
Just depends what switches you want really, do you have any in mind? Do you like linear/tactile/clicky?

I love Logitech's Romer G Switches, the feel like Browns with a tactile bump but has a low actuation which i like. I'd check out the G513, you can get linear or tactile and the wrist rest is one of the best you can get!
I hate the romer g switch lol. IMO it feels nothing like my brown switches.

Associate
OP best thing to do is goto the nearest PC shop. And click away on some mech keyboards to see which switch you like best. Once you know that. We can assist you better.

Associate
I hate the romer g switch lol. IMO it feels nothing like my brown switches.

Well that's the thing about keyboards, its subjective. Everyone has different opinions. But I agree, the best thing he should do is go to a PC store and try some keys. This will then narrow down his options.

Soldato
OP
That's the trouble I'm house bound atm, so trying out keyboards isn't really possible.

After some digging my keyboard is the steelseries 7g, which uses cherry mx black switches which I'm more than used to so something similar to that I guess.

Associate
That's the trouble I'm house bound atm, so trying out keyboards isn't really possible.

After some digging my keyboard is the steelseries 7g, which uses cherry mx black switches which I'm more than used to so something similar to that I guess.
Well, Reds are blacks but very light
Blues are like blacks but tactile and clicky
Browns are tactile and not clicky. Same weight as blue switches but register at a smaller actuation
Or you could go with black switches again

Hope this helps
if you have anymore questions just ask

Associate

Yeah Black switches are a little harder to get as a lot of mainstream keyboards don't use them. Roccat Ryos MK Pro has black switches and its a pretty nice keyboard.

Associate
You could also buy a switch tester which has most switches and then see what you think feels best.
This is a good idea. Make sure you get one from a reputable seller. Lots of people sell knock off switch testers as cherry mx switches. if you get a tester get one around the 15-20 pounds mark

Back
Top Bottom