• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Spec me a new Graphics Card - £200-£300

Associate
I currently have a HIS HD 7900 and I want to run games such as COD, PUBG, Rust and the 7900 struggles a bit and Rust has to run at the lowest resolution. Looking for a new card to fit in my 2nd gaming PC running quad core AMD FX CPU and 16Gb RAM.

Any suggestions plz?

Associate
If we weren't through the looking glass in terms of current availability and prices, I probably wouldn't go for much more than a 1650s or maybe a 1660 and either could be had for under £200 (though not in the current climate). It depends on the exact FX CPU, but anything more powerful than 1660ti, for example, would probably be wasted due to the bottleneck. Those games would run fine on med/high with either of those 2 cards and an FX CPU.

Man of Honour
Best value for £300 is probably the upcoming 3060, but getting it for RRP is likely to be impossible.

Please don't pay £200 for a 1050 Ti :( (is not even an upgrade)

Soldato
Things are pretty bad right now. It's not so much a case of finding the right card, but more about finding any card.

Pop in to OCUK's graphics card section, arrange by price low to high, and this is the only card which is available below £300:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pali...ci-express-gddr5-graphics-card-gx-03t-pl.html

In fact, it's the only GPU that's in stock at any price unless you want to pre-order an RTX 3090 for £1,800+:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/inno...dr6x-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-07j-in.html

Personally, I'd just hold out. You've managed this long. What's another year?

If you do want a card, here are two options:

1. Join a 3000 series stock alerts system and try and bag a 3060 Ti Founders Edition for £369. Over budget, but the only way you're getting good value for money right now.

2. Buy a used GTX 1060/1070 or RX 580/590/5500XT for roughly double the price they were selling for six months ago.

Last edited:
Soldato
I currently have a HIS HD 7900 and I want to run games such as COD, PUBG, Rust and the 7900 struggles a bit and Rust has to run at the lowest resolution. Looking for a new card to fit in my 2nd gaming PC running quad core AMD FX CPU and 16Gb RAM.

Any suggestions plz?
you might get a gtx 1070 for £300ish? would have been under 200 a couple of months ago.

Soldato
You can get a 1070 perhaps a 1070ti for that price on today's market. Your best bet is a 3060ti FE if you get lucky enough to be able to buy one when one comes up otherwise you're SOL.

Soldato
I'd say a RTX 3060 TI at RRP (£370), if you can stretch to this amount. You'd need to set up a stock alert service like part alert to actually buy one.

You could wait for the release of the RTX 3060 this month, which has an RRP of £299. Stock might be more plentiful than people are suggesting, since GPU miners will likely avoid this graphics card (it's hash rate is limited), at least for a little while. It's a lower end Ampere GPU, so it *should* have a higher production yield, also, it uses GDDR6 VRAM, which is thought to become available in greater supply soon.

If you don't mind waiting, next month should be when the RX 6700 and 6700 XT launch. Hopefully, the RX 6700 reference model will be sold for ~£300 on AMD's website.

Any of these graphics cards would be a huge upgrade from a HD 7970.

Personally, I'd go with a Nvidia GPU this time around, because of the launch performance benefits DLSS offers in some games, but whatever's affordable...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom