[spec me] a new tv series

• Thread starter Deleted member 61728
  • Start date
Caporegime
I have to say I'm not really into Firefly, after watching the first episode I'm wondering does it get better?

Did you watch the pilot?

It got canned in the US as they didn't air the pilot then messed up the order of the first few episodes, so no-one knew what the hell was going on, lol!

Watch the pilot and 2 episodes, that will give you enough time to see if you warm to the writing style and characters.

If you are a fan of the writing in Buffy/Angel, you'd like this as it's Joss Whedon :)

Soldato
I have to say I'm not really into Firefly, after watching the first episode I'm wondering does it get better?

What order did you watch it in? Fox aired The Train Job first (episode 2) and not Serenity (episode 1) which was the intended order.

But yeah it does get better after Serenity. Episode 6 onwards are absolutely amazing, episode 8 is one of my favourites episodes from any TV show. 1-5 are still really good though.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yeap, I have watched Serenity (the "first" episode). It feels like a cross between the Star Trek series set early on and Star Gate. A bit, kind of "meh"-ish.

I used to be a fan of Buffy on BBC 2 when I was about 15 but haven't really looked back since lol! I too might need another series/tv show suggestion.

As above - quite enjoyed Dexter, though couldn't get into Deadwood / The Wire. Heroes I really enjoy - but have missed too many of the first series and kept watching a few from subsequent seasons to really enjoy each episode as new again. House was very good, even with Hugh Lawrie in an American accent and Billy from Neighbours. I kept expecting the latter to scream "AAANNNNNNNNNNNEE!!!" at one point.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeap, I have watched Serenity (the "first" episode). It feels like a cross between the Star Trek series set early on and Star Gate. A bit, kind of "meh"-ish.

I used to be a fan of Buffy when I was about 15 and it was on BBC 2 but haven't really looked back since lol! I too might need another series/tv show suggestion.

As above - quite enjoyed Dexter, though couldn't get into Deadwood / The Wire. Heroes I really enjoy - but have missed too many of the first series and kept watching a few from subsequent seasons to really enjoy each episode as new again.

Keep watching. My friend felt the same as you really and couldn't get into it after the first episode. But now it's his one of his favourite shows. In fact, pretty much everyone who I've shown Firefly to has loved it.

Associate
I've just finished watching the first series of The Wire, started on the second, it's really incredible, blows my former favourite TV show (Heroes) out the water. I watched the first episode a while ago and I didn't really get it, but after starting it again recently I can really reccomend it.

Here's a 30 min TV program on how good it is. Linky

Caporegime
Keep watching. My friend felt the same as you really and couldn't get into it after the first episode. But now it's his one of his favourite shows. In fact, pretty much everyone who I've shown Firefly to has loved it.

Same for the new Battlestar Galactica, managed to convince my ex to watch it with me after my brother kept telling us we HAD to watch it, and after 4 episodes we were hooked!

We can't wait for Jan already so we can start out BSG nights again, lol

Soldato
Stargate atlantis :D

THat terrosist one that was on FX a while back, can't remember its name argh, with a black guy as the cop and the good soldier guy from res evil 2+3 as the baddy.

We can't wait for Jan already so we can start out BSG nights again, lol

I have tatooed the episode dates onto my arm in preparation :D

Soldato
The Sopranos, Twin Peaks & Band of Brothers would be my pick.

But if you see a better casted, better acted and better written show than The Sopranos please tell me what it is as Ive not seen it yet.

Soldato
Firefly - Best scifi you will ever see. Seriosuly it makes BSG et al eat poo. but only 1 series. Damn you!!! starts crying.

The Wire. Really good character based gangsta / cop drama.

Breaking Bad. has the dad from Malcolm in the middle. he decides to cook Crystal Meth. :D

Soldato
Ive narrowed my search down to the following:
Angel
The Shield
Deadwood

If i had to pick one, which one should i go for?

Deadwood. Definitely.

Best show on TV bar Firefly. Miles better than The Wire too. I haven't seen The Shield but I always hear how The Wire is better.

The only one that might be better than Deadwood is The West Wing, but I haven't seen that yet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom