• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Spec me a nVidia GTS8800 Card upgrade

Associate
Hi All,
I've been away from graphics cards for a while.
Please spec me a good bang-for-the-buck generally "fast" video card. No hard core interest in games but the faster GPU is handy for things liek video rendering in Adobe Preiere elements etc. The card is stuttering with HD video. I play simpler games like Bioshock now and then. Woudl liek to do this for less than £80 and less still if I can.
Thanks

Associate
Brand new a GTX 960 can be had for around £70 if you look around. Decent card for the money.

Alternatively a GTX1050 for a little more around £100 is a similar power to the 960.

Second hand decent choices as mentioned a 970 or perhaps any of the above mentioned, just for less money.

Soldato
I would say the GTX960 4GB is closer to a GTX1050TI 4GB,as many reviews tested only the GTX960 2GB. OFC,with DX12 and Vulkan games the Pascal cards are better.

OTH,also consider the R9 380 4GB,it was a tad faster than the GTX960 4GB,and did fare a bit better in some of the OpenCL stuff IIRC.

Having said that I could be wrong,but PP probably is more CPU bound than GPU bound IIRC. It might worth checking out some benchmarks for the latest version.

Associate
thinking back, these cards would probably be agp slots. current crop of cards are pci express - and this has been the case for a few years now. you might struggle to find a card that's would fit into agp. can you list the rest of the pc specs?

although I could be wrong - just worth considering

Associate
Back
Top Bottom