SPEC ME: A PC for Apex etc £650-£800?

Soldato
Hi all,

Want a full rig, don't need keyboard or mouse or screen.

Just everything else :)

Graphically as good as the budget will allow I guess.

Their current PC is:

i3-2100 @ 3.1GHz
8GB RAM
GTX660
1080p Screen
1TB HDD
120GB SSD

If any of this can be re-used that's even better :)

Cheers,

G

Last edited:
Soldato
*EDIT: I should have started this post with the mandatory - if you can, wait for the release of Zen 2 ~early July.

Over budget - but something similar to this would chew through Apex at 1080p hiigh setting.

If you source some parts elsewhere you could get within your £800 budget - and ideally you would add a conventional HDD for more storage. The memory may run higher than 2933MHz or you could force tighter timings at 2933Mhz (or get a cheaper 3000MHz set).

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: ~£820.23

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Thanks so much for the effort you’ve put in to your replies dude! Much appreciated!

Cheers,
No worries, treat them more as a guide - although the MSI b450's are in a class of their own with the quality of their VRMs (on those boards). If you're canny you can get a lot of grunt for ~£800 - whatever you decide on it will crucify APEX at 1080p.

Best of luck with it.

EDIT: I meant to add that selected OcUK AMD cards come with 2 free games - Division 2 and World War Z - the V 56 is a great alternative to the 1660Ti but don't skimp on PSU quality/wattage (Bitfenix 650W a minimum):

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Last edited:
Soldato
I would definitely go AMD here since the Vega 56 Pulse outperforms the GTX 1660 Ti in Apex Legends (and most other games) at the same price. Usually going up a hundred watts on the PSU doesn't cost much and seems worth it in this case.

Soldato
Do you need an OS? If so you need to factor it in.

Some people pick them up for £20 off dodgy sites, but I personally wouldn’t. I bought a Win 10 key and I can transfer it from rig to rig.

I haven’t looked at benchmarks of the new (ridiculously named) 1660/ti, and the budget end isn’t my forte, but isn’t the RX range worth considering?

We also have Navi as well as Zen2 coming up...

Soldato
Some people pick them up for £20 off dodgy sites, but I personally wouldn’t. I bought a Win 10 key and I can transfer it from rig to rig.
They're great - although obviously a slight risk they may get deactivated. Not happened to me yet on my kids setups (swapped machines twice no issues on both) - but I admit to using premium purchase on my main work setups. But for a gaming build/spec to get your foot in the door, a £10 key will give you more money for better components and time to save if it flakes out after a couple of years - if it does. I can understand why people are suspicious of them...

For £10 they can act as a cheap place holder, until you have funds to buy boxed retail even if you do have concerns.

I haven’t looked at benchmarks of the new (ridiculously named) 1660/ti, and the budget end isn’t my forte, but isn’t the RX range worth considering?
Not for his limited budget and at 1080p - the 1660Ti performs really well at this resolution/price - although, now time has past since his post, the Vega 56 is the card to get now with the added game codes but will need that additional wattage/quality PSU - swings-and-roundabouts.

Last edited:
Soldato
They're great - although obviously a slight risk they may get deactivated. Not happened to me yet on my kids setups (swapped machines twice no issues on both) - but I admit to using premium purchase on my main work setups. But for a gaming build/spec to get your foot in the door, a £10 key will give you more money for better components and time to save if it flakes out after a couple of years - if it does. I can understand why people are suspicious of them...

For £10 they can act as a cheap place holder, until you have funds to buy boxed retail even if you do have concerns.

Not for his limited budget and at 1080p - the 1660Ti performs really well at this resolution/price - although, now time has past since his post, the Vega 56 is the card to get now with the added game codes but will need that additional wattage/quality PSU - swings-and-roundabouts.

£10 I never pay more than £3.50 for mine :O

Soldato
£10 I never pay more than £3.50 for mine :O
Well, clearly yours are peddled by poor kids in Window's key sweat shops. Mine are at least bought from reputable bulk sale discounts in some eastern block (is that an oxymoron?) :D

Man of Honour
grey keys make the most financial sense, in any case.
£100 for a white key vs ~£5 for a grey key.
say each grey key lasts for at least 2 years...or at worst, 1 year.
your breakeven point is 20 years at minimum, (or typically >40 years! lol)

fwiw, i bought my grey key in 2012. it was never deactivated and also allowed the upgrade to win 10...
(although i'm using a legit key now, as i conveniently lost the key during a mobo swap, and microsoft issued a new key to me...lol)

Back
Top Bottom