Spec me a phone - Sim Free - Lumia/Iphone/Android?

Soldato
Hey all,

Taking my HTC sensation in to cpw tomorrow to trade it in as I can't stand the thing. I'm looking for something of similar specification but unsure whether to stay android or go WM7 or ..... Apple!

I only really use your typical smart phone stuff, email, ebay and the odd bit of FB on rare occasion. I also am a lover of whatsapp.

Can you suggest me a phone around the £400 price point and give me your opinion of the phone you are suggesting if you own one?

Associate
Well why don't you like the sensation? Is it Android or HTC? I had a Desire HD and sense on it really put me off Android, eventually rooted it and put on Vanilla ICS and it was so much better, but that bad experience still makes me feel unfavorably towards Android in general now. So if you want to stay Android my advice is a Galaxy nexus which is like £380ish now new.

I have used WP7 for a year now and it's a great OS everything is easy to do and once you get into the flow of the OS it's very cool, It still needs work on the app side but it does have Whatsapp, and facebook and twitter etc is built in and they are great for casual use. I would recommend a Lumia 800 or if you wait the 900 on the windows phone front, the Nokia phones come with Nokia drive which is a excellent sat nav app that you can use fully offline and the design of the phone is great.

I just picked up a iphone 4s, my first "real" smartphone was a iphone 3g and I have to say it's nice to be back with a Iphone, the apps can't be beat and I think the design is beautiful even after almost 2 years, it's probably the perfect phone for someone who just wants all the basic things to work well and have the best apps first, but it does come with a price premium and a fairly steep one at that.

Man of Honour
Well, a 16GB iPhone 4S is probably your best bet but it will cost you £499. The 8GB iPhone 4 would do the job too and they are £399.

Both are very fast and capable, no hassle to use (iTunes aside - people have a habit of moaning about it but it's always been fine for me). The Lumia 800 is a decent shout as well, but as an overall package it can't beat the iPhone unfortunately.

I'd guess that Android is part of what you can't stand about your Sensation so I'd give it a miss, the others are as good if not better at what you use your phone for anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. I hate the sensation because HTC have told me that I must hold it without covering the back of the phone to be able to make phone calls. Basically their retarded aerial placement at the bottom of the phone where your palm would rest makes it useless as a phone to me.

HTC supplied me this phone after a long string of mess ups in their shambolic repairs centre here in the UK. I am at my wits end with it and just want to get rid of it, though I think I probably ought to ring CAB or trading standards as the device isn't fit for purpose.

Associate
Have you tried using the phone in a case so your hand is not in contact with the actual surface of the phone, might help.
If you want to stick with android still think the Galaxy nexus with vanilla android is your best option.

Man of Honour
That is nonsense from HTC. Touching the back of the phone only affects the wifi signal (sometimes), not the call signal.

It only does it if your hand is covering the entire back of the phone as well.

Soldato
OP
I hold the bottom half of the phone in my hand, the mobile network aerial is in the bottom of this handset apparently.

Tatsuki, I don't have a case for the phone, only one to put it in when not in use. I would go and buy a case but I don't think it'll fix the signal.

Anyone have any opinion on the galaxy note? I'm going to guess its too big for a mobile phone!

Associate
Can't say I've noticed that problem with mine. Maybe you've got a faulty handset? I've just spent a good minute or so covering the bottom half of my phone with my hand and the signal didn't drop at all.

As Robbo says, there are known issues with the wifi aeriel but that only affects some people in some instances (I've never had a problem with that either).

Man of Honour
I hold the bottom half of the phone in my hand, the mobile network aerial is in the bottom of this handset apparently.

Tatsuki, I don't have a case for the phone, only one to put it in when not in use. I would go and buy a case but I don't think it'll fix the signal.

Anyone have any opinion on the galaxy note? I'm going to guess its too big for a mobile phone!

The Note is very good but it's a ridiculous size. :p

The Galaxy S II is essentially a smaller version.

Soldato
The Note is very good but it's a ridiculous size. :p

The Galaxy S II is essentially a smaller version.

Anyone of my friend with notes (normally from iPhones) swear by it and could never use anything smaller as a phone so the size to some is just perfect, still find it stupid personally xD.

Sorry guys.... An apple fell on me whilst I was at tesco :( :o:D

I had on fall on me in tesco too it can be dangerous.

Soldato
OP
Nice, let us know what you think to it!

So far I love it, shamefully I've had to ring my sister to ask her how to do things. Its so simple I get it wrong :(

I had on fall on me in tesco too it can be dangerous.

My friend wanted to go and look at them. Eyed up the 12 month contract, and purchased one. I walked back to the car, ate my sandwich and then walked back in :( ;)

Thanks for your help guys :)

Back
Top Bottom