Spec me a PSU

Permabanned
Howdy folks,

In the middle of a new build and can't decide on a PSU.

Build will be based on a 9700K (hopefully overclocked to at least 5.0Ghz)
with an RTX 2080 (non-Ti)
1 SSD and 1HDD
With a 360mm AIO cooler
Mid-tower case with maybe 3 or 4 fans

Budget is approx 100 give or take a bit.

Priorities are a quality unit that is quiet.

Cheers

Associate
Howdy folks,

1 SSD and 1HDD
With a 360mm AIO cooler

Cheers

The PSU is the heart of your system, given the components you have I’d rather get a decent PSU and pay a bit more! You can’t go far wrong with Seasonic and this unit is on sale at £125:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seas...-platinum-modular-power-supply-ca-05w-ss.html

Don’t forget the money you save upfront can soon be wasted using an inefficient PSU!

Soldato
That's the first time I've heard of Seasonic. Excuse my ignorance but are they an established name that has been around for considerable time?

Soldato
TIL! Thanks lads.

Sea Sonic Electronics Co., Ltd was founded more than 40 years ago by engineers. Since its early beginnings the company has rigorously maintained its focus on the research, development and production of technologically advanced, high quality products. In 1981 Sea Sonic expanded into the production of PC power supplies to become one of the first manufacturers in this market. Soon after, the manufacturing of high quality and performance PC power supplies became the core identity of Sea Sonic.

Man of Honour
Don’t forget the money you save upfront can soon be wasted using an inefficient PSU!
I agree with the PSU choice for the money, but that statement is just FUD, really.
80plus standard is geared to servers and data centres.
Difference between gold to platinum is 2% at best, and bronze to platinum is 9%.
Say for an average gaming load of 500w for OP's build, that's 50w diffence between bronze and platinum.
At 20p per KWH, OP needs to run his computer at gaming loads for 100h before he sees a £1 saving.
Then consider the cost of the PSU, it'll take quite a number of years to amortise that initial outlay, I suspect most people would have changed their PSU before then already

Associate
Howdy folks,

1 SSD and 1HDD
With a 360mm AIO cooler

Cheers

The PSU is the heart of your system, given the components you have I’d rather get a decent PSU and pay a bit more!

Associate
I agree with the PSU choice for the money, but that statement is just FUD, really.
80plus standard is geared to servers and data centres.
Difference between gold to platinum is 2% at best, and bronze to platinum is 9%.
Say for an average gaming load of 500w for OP's build, that's 50w diffence between bronze and platinum.
At 20p per KWH, OP needs to run his computer at gaming loads for 100h before he sees a £1 saving.
Then consider the cost of the PSU, it'll take quite a number of years to amortise that initial outlay, I suspect most people would have changed their PSU before then already

That isn’t correct as the efficiency of the PSU is a bell curve and a lower grade PSU will be much more inefficient at 20% load, don’t just take my word for it!

https://youtu.be/1kl7EhIbhuI

Man of Honour
That isn’t correct as the efficiency of the PSU is a bell curve and a lower grade PSU will be much more inefficient at 20% load, don’t just take my word for it!
actually you'll find that it is correct. yes, efficiency is a bell curve, but that's not the point. ALL PSUs will have similar bell curves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus#Efficiency_level_certifications
80 Plus test type 230 V EU internal non-redundant
Percentage of rated load.............10% 20% 50% 100%
80 Plus.............................................82% 85% 82%
80 Plus Bronze..................................85% 88% 85%
80 Plus Silver.....................................87% 90% 87%
80 Plus Gold......................................90% 92% 89%
80 Plus Platinum................................92% 94% 90%
80 Plus Titanium.........................90% 94% 96% 94%

as you can see, the percentage difference (and absolute wattage) we're dealing with here, is miniscule in the context of a home computer.

lower grade PSU will be much more inefficient at 20% load
ok, so we say, extreme example, 20% difference between best and worst at 10% load, seeing as 80+ don't test 10% loads until 80+ titanium.
your computer draws 50w at 10% load...that's 10w difference...
how many hours does it take to spend 1kWh? 100h
if we say something more reasonable say 10% eg between bronze and platinum - that's 200h
if we're talking difference between gold and platinum - that's 500h before you save 1kWh
higher efficiency PSUs will not save money, just cost more...

what's more important is the internal components

extreme example:
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £246.04 (includes shipping: £11.10)

kolink is 80+ platinum...but i guarantee most people will pick the seasonic/antec 80+ gold instead...why? better internals.

Last edited:
Associate
actually you'll find that it is correct. yes, efficiency is a bell curve, but that's not the point. ALL PSUs will have similar bell curves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus#Efficiency_level_certifications

as you can see, the percentage difference (and absolute wattage) we're dealing with here, is miniscule in the context of a home computer.

ok, so we say, extreme example, 20% difference between best and worst at 10% load, seeing as 80+ don't test 10% loads until 80+ titanium.
your computer draws 50w at 10% load...that's 10w difference...
how many hours does it take to spend 1kWh? 100h
if we say something more reasonable say 10% eg between bronze and platinum - that's 200h
if we're talking difference between gold and platinum - that's 500h before you save 1kWh
higher efficiency PSUs will not save money, just cost more...

what's more important is the internal components

extreme example:
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £246.04 (includes shipping: £11.10)

kolink is 80+ platinum...but i guarantee most people will pick the seasonic/antec 80+ gold instead...why? better internals.

@tamzzy

Seasonic every time, most of their PSU’s have 10 year warranty. I appreciate what your saying but there is more than just efficiency to be taken into account, factors such as output ripple are important too. My point is that with the OP’s system specifications he really shouldn’t be skimping on a PSU.

With PSUs their are any factors that determine requirements:

Efficiency
Output Ripple
Component quality - Capacitors, Fan Bearings
Fan Noise
Modularity - Fully Modular, Semi-Modular (Usually a few cables directly wired)
Cables - Flat, Braided
Monitoring - Some PSU’s such as Corsair “I” models and some from NZXT have connections for software monitoring

Unlike for most components there are few reliable reviewers for PSUs, it used to be Johnny Guru, TTL, but more recently GamersNexus seem to be getting into reviews.

Finally there are that many manufacturers of PSUs, most are produced and rebadged from a handful of Chinese manufacturers, but the design, features, and component quality do differ.

Man of Honour
I appreciate what your saying but there is more than just efficiency to be taken into account, factors such as output ripple are important too. My point is that with the OP’s system specifications he really shouldn’t be skimping on a PSU.
which is exactly my point :) your initial statement wasn't quite correct.

but that statement is just FUD, really.

one should be choosing a PSU on more than efficiency alone, as you've alluded to.
With PSUs their are any factors that determine requirements:

Efficiency
Output Ripple
Component quality - Capacitors, Fan Bearings
Fan Noise
Modularity - Fully Modular, Semi-Modular (Usually a few cables directly wired)
Cables - Flat, Braided
Monitoring - Some PSU’s such as Corsair “I” models and some from NZXT have connections for software monitoring

Soldato
I have servers running in my house, I also have software development computers, 2 x HTPC, everything runs Seasonic.

The main thing is to get at least Gold rated one, however if there is an offer on say a Platinum then get that instead.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
I have servers running in my house, I also have software development computers, 2 x HTPC, everything runs Seasonic.

The main thing is to get at least Gold rated one, however if there is an offer on say a Platinum then get that instead.
Yeah I knew 850W was probably a bit overkill for the system I'm putting together but the Seasonic 850 platinum unit was a good deal at the sale price, combined with free OCUK shipping I just went for that - should serve me well.

Cheers for the input folks.

Back
Top Bottom