• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Spec Me a Quiet But Strong Nvidia < £150

Soldato
GFX card currently as spec however the noisy fan is really off-putting. As per my posts in the Cooling section I changed out all the case fans thinking they were to blame, but the noise is still present. I read elsewhere that the BFG Geforces were particularly noisy.

I installed Riva Tuner but there's so many complicated options, all I want to do is drop the fan speed by 20%.

Now the budget isn't going to run to the latest and greatest card so I'm either looking at a 9800 series or stretch to a 260. The main criteria are:
1. It must run quieter than the existing graphics card.
2. If I'm laying out cash it needs to offer better performance than the 8800GT.
3. It needs to fit my case, therefore needs to be no bigger than the 8800.
4. It must be an Nvidia card, not ATI.
5. Absolute max price will be £150 inc. VAT and shipping.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the suggestions, although 2 of the 3 above are out of stock at OCUK (in fact, quite a lot of the GFX cards seem to be no or low stock). I'll have to check how much space there is behind the existing card, ISTR a bit of a tussle getting the 8800 in there.

This one looks quite interesting...

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp...072-BG&tool=3&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=927

with particular reference to silent running though notice one reviewer says it doesn't give much over a 9800GTX. By that reckoning I presume the 250 series is on a par with the 9800? But again, out of stock.

Soldato
Thanks for the suggestions, although 2 of the 3 above are out of stock at OCUK (in fact, quite a lot of the GFX cards seem to be no or low stock). I'll have to check how much space there is behind the existing card, ISTR a bit of a tussle getting the 8800 in there.

This one looks quite interesting...

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp...072-BG&tool=3&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=927

with particular reference to silent running though notice one reviewer says it doesn't give much over a 9800GTX. By that reckoning I presume the 250 series is on a par with the 9800? But again, out of stock.

That card looks fine.

Back
Top Bottom