Spec me a road saddle

Soldato
Looking for something comfortable that can be used for training as well as long distance rides of 100m on back to back days. I'm currently on a giant contact sl, which isn't particularly comfortable or that light. It starts to become annoying after about 40m or so, this is on 25mm tubeless at the correct pressure. Weight isn't a major focus as I don't race. Not overly concerned with budget as long as it's comfy, although ideally no more than £130 max.

I was looking at the morgaw forsage but wondering if a more traditional design would be better?

Some say rail material doesn't make much difference, maybe for heavier riders? I'm 73kg if that helps.

Last edited:
Soldato
Everyone is different so saddle recommendations are pretty much pointless. You just need to try as many different shapes as you can to try and work out what fits you best.

Having said that, I have charge spoon saddles on most of my road bikes and mtbs. I find them very comfortable and it does seem to be a saddle that a lot of other people like too.

Soldato
It doesn't get much more personal than a piece of plastic and foam you're shoving in your bum crack for hours at a time.

One man's meat can very much be another man's poison when it comes to saddles

Soldato
I'm a founder member of the bony ar*e brigade - I've tried so many saddles I've lost count.

Best of the bunch for me at least has been a Bontrager Montrose - I've got two, one Comp and one Elite.

But yeah, you just need to go to Evans or something to trial a few different ones and maybe get your sitbones measured too (they'll do it for free).

Soldato
As said above, it really is a personal thing. I got a Charge Spoon after many people said it was very comfortable and rode with it for a few weeks and it used to make my knob so numb it used to take ages to get any feeling back so changed it.

Soldato
Until relatively recently I had to scour ebay regularly for a saddle that stopped production in 1997... I've found one that fits me and is still in production now, but still

(Vetta TT and Fizik Aliante)

Soldato
OP
The fabric and fizik saddles seem well worth a look. The problem with trying in a shop is that most things feel fairly comfortably to begin with, it's only after extended periods you know what's right. Similarly, something that isn't the most comfy initially can turn out to be ok after hours.

Soldato
The problem with trying in a shop is that most things feel fairly comfortably to begin with, it's only after extended periods you know what's right. Similarly, something that isn't the most comfy initially can turn out to be ok after hours.

Yep. The setup can also make a big difference too. Try it on a test bike in the shop and it can be very comfy, put it on your own bike with different geometry and it can be horrible.

Soldato
Agreed, try the Spoon as they're damn good value and saddle for the money. I progressed to a Fizik Arione as having big thighs which rubbed the inside edges I thought I needed a narrow and flat saddle. As I got fitter the saddle got more and more uncomfortable and I've now found quite a wide nosed shaped saddle with a relief channel works best for me (Specialized Phenom). Equally found that poor over a couple of hours indoor on the turbo so currently riding a Selle Italia Max Flite Gel Flow there with a huge centre cut out and it works well. Still get uncomfortable over 3-4 hours but happy with that. The Phenom is more comfortable than that over similar time/distance outside.

It doesn't get much more personal than a piece of plastic and foam you're shoving in your bum crack for hours at a time.
Only the best for my crack on the turbo - leather.

Last edited:
Soldato
My track bike has a Fabric flat on it - that saddle suits the arse up head down riding position of the Dolan quite nicely. I tried out of curiosity same saddle on my road bike the once and I think it took a week for my backside to recover, really painful, completely numbed my sit bones.

Associate
I have a charge spoon. I went through loads of Fizik saddles and a couple of other brands. For 20 quid it's a bargain. It starts going numb after about 4 hours, but most would... Some shops will let you hire them, go through every one they have. You'll 'know' when you've found the right saddle...

Soldato
I’ve been lucky, I started with a Spoon because they were well reviewed and cheap! and now have Spoons on my road and MTBs. Never felt the need to change to anything else as I can sit for hours without going numb!

Back
Top Bottom