Spec me a simple gaming machine (£250)

Associate
Hi,

I would like to buy a simple gaming machine to play games like halflife 2 / eve-online / battlefield 2....

I have £250 i would like to spend. i have a 22" flat monitor already.

Geforce prefered.

only need motherboard, ram, graphics card, cpu, case.

Thanks!

Associate
OP
i have an old dell pc. too old to do anything with.

i have PSU, dont need one, i only need what i listed above. i might go for some used parts from ebay if i need to. just looking for a good spec for £250 ish

Soldato
CPU - E5300/E3300 - £50
Mobo - Any cheap 775 one, around £35
RAM - Any 2x2GB kit for £40, there are a few about
PSU - Any 400W one, preferably Corsair or PC P&C. 350W at a stretch, but i wouldn't recommend it. £40.
HDD - Anything you want, for about £35. Should get you a decent 500GB one
Graphics - HIS HD 4670 IceQ Edition 1GB, i've seen it for around £50.
Case - Choice of cheap cases, i would recomend an xClio Propeller, for £35
DVD Drive - Anything for £20

That's about £300, cheapest you're going to do that's actually going to achieve what you want of it.

Associate
OP
i think i could make a pretty good pc for £200 out of what i want, with some of your suggestions, but i dont think any of you actually read what i wanted.

looking at a mobo, a geforce graphix cards (had problems with ati, not going to go into it but alweays found geforce more compatible for a NOVICE like me) a cpu and ram, the rest i have lying around ie psu case etc.

soemthing like:

Intel Dual Core E5200 with mother board to suit

an older geforce card (cheaper) ie 9500GTX or simular

with 2 - 4gb ram cheap as chips so anything

Soldato
And you haven't read what we said. You're current system is probably a pre built, meaning a rubbish PSU. And when that's gone there's no reason to keep anything really, just get a completely new build.

Your opinion on ATI isn't valid any more, unless you use Linux for gaming.

Associate
OP
yeah sorry did ask for a case. but my brother insisted that he make the reply and didnt know i asked for case.

personally i dont like ATI so geforce only.

I didnt plan to use my excisting system as its a ****ty dell 1.8 p4 machine. actually its a very old machine. my £750 laptop broke 1 year 2 days after i bought it. did have a £1500 proper nice pc but no longer have it after various reasons.

still have many PSU's around from different machines. 500W - 900W ones.

Associate
OP
you people are terrible. really miss the point. i just want the best MB, Graphics Card, Ram, and 250GB harddrive i can get for £250.

Xbox is crap. PS3 is crap. I used to work in IT and had done for many years, just lost touch with the up-to-dates.

Soldato
And we're telling you that since you're probably coming from a pre built it's best to leave those components and use a complete rebuild, something that you seem to be ignoring. I've said that you'd have to raise it by £50 to get anything that would do what you want in the slightest, so what do you want to know now?

Soldato
spec3.jpg

Add one of your psu's to that build, job's a good 'un......well sort of

Soldato
you people are terrible. really miss the point. i just want the best MB, Graphics Card, Ram, and 250GB harddrive i can get for £250.

Xbox is crap. PS3 is crap. I used to work in IT and had done for many years, just lost touch with the up-to-dates.

So you think for £250 your going to get a PC that outperforms a Xbox 360 or PS3 for games? I can certanly understand why you "used" to work in IT:cool:

Associate
OP
So you think for £250 your going to get a PC that outperforms a Xbox 360 or PS3 for games? I can certanly understand why you "used" to work in IT:cool:

i left my job as i was getting underpaid and have since become self employed working from home. i didnt say it would out perform a 360 or ps3. i just dont like using controllers and i want win XP.

also i didnt say i was going to use anything from this old dell pc.

not that it matters anymore, won 150k on the lotto saturday.

oooh I'm a big boy, oh yes I am .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom