Spec me a spade and shovel please?

Soldato
What do I need to look out for? Anything good, anything ****?

Need to be shovelling a mini mountain of earth into a skip and then digging up a bit of lawn to returf it.

Thanks.

Associate
Spear and Jackson are good (and British) or you can 'go Dutch' with Sneeboer but they're pricey.
Or Fiskars, they're pretty good as well or Bulldog, they're another good happy medium (about £30-£40 for one)
Failing any of those just get a Roughneck, you'll see loads of those on building sites. Never used one though so might be a bit crap.

Soldato
Such a massive decision, and if you choose the wrong shovel & bucket it would be the worst possible decision of your life, leading to lifetime of regret, depression, PTSD, waking up in the middle of the night screaming in bed, wetting yourself, etc.

Soldato
Screwfix, Go there spend around £10 on each Item you require walk away with new stuff and be happy knowing that in 6 months if its broken it can be replaced or refunded!

Soldato
Stainless is rubbish unless your digging in really well looked after soil. Carbon steal is far better, cant go wrong with a Neverbend really.

Stainless is rubbish unless your digging in really well looked after soil. Carbon steal is far better, cant go wrong with a Neverbend really.

I know people say this but I used the above spade for pretty much exactly what the OP said, then at my allotment digging ground where people have snapped all sorts of forks and spades and some even resorted to pick axes the ground is that hard below the top surface. I guess I just got lucky, but i think when digging they are great and they certainly went through turf far easier than the smaller carbon one we had.
I wouldn't use it to start prying stuff though as I think thats where people bust spades/forks a lot digging under bushes etc.

If your really serious about you spades and forks follow this guys advice. http://www.fredshed.co.uk/forksandspades.htm
"Garden or digging forks are designed for soil and are most commonly damaged when use to lever roots and rocks which is a task more suited to a crowbar or pickaxe"

Soldato
Shovel for loose stuff, spade for cutting things..

The sides of a shovel help with moving concrete into a concrete mixer, whereas the spade is for digging.. Simples.

Soldato
I know people say this but I used the above spade for pretty much exactly what the OP said, then at my allotment digging ground where people have snapped all sorts of forks and spades and some even resorted to pick axes the ground is that hard below the top surface. I guess I just got lucky, but i think when digging they are great and they certainly went through turf far easier than the smaller carbon one we had.
I wouldn't use it to start prying stuff though as I think thats where people bust spades/forks a lot digging under bushes etc.

If your really serious about you spades and forks follow this guys advice. http://www.fredshed.co.uk/forksandspades.htm
"Garden or digging forks are designed for soil and are most commonly damaged when use to lever roots and rocks which is a task more suited to a crowbar or pickaxe"

I'm a massive stainless steel fan for forks and spades so much easier when nothing sticks mine did three years of hard graft on a really rough allotment and are now in storage waiting for my next plot in a couple of years.

Back
Top Bottom