spec me a VPN for phone and PC

Associate
I'm a VPN newbie - only heard of the concept a couple of weeks ago!

I'm looking for a simple VPN that I can use on my android phone, PC and a laptop - ideally one subscription to cover all of them.

Any suggestions?

Associate
I'm a VPN newbie - only heard of the concept a couple of weeks ago!

I'm looking for a simple VPN that I can use on my android phone, PC and a laptop - ideally one subscription to cover all of them.

Any suggestions?

Try this paid UK VPN. You can use it on your android phone, PC and a laptop. In-fact; you can use this VPN parallely to 5 devices with one single account because of its 5 multi logins features. Whether it’s your laptop, tablet, mobile or PC...

Soldato
this has been asked this many times, there is a question regarding why you want to use VPN.

If you are after anonymity then some of the VPN providers won't give you that. some log your activity as required by the law of the land that the company registered at, some log certain about of activity such as bandwidth usage etc still quite anonymous. But critically you need to consider where the service provider are based. For instance PIA is american, so if the american supreme court issues some kind of subpoena to hand over details of user activity then they have to comply. so you need to consider these factors.

so have a look at this https://thatoneprivacysite.net/vpn-comparison-chart/

then there is the performance which you can probably trial out with all of the VPN providers and see which one is good for you.

lastly cost. there are offers - stack social has some life time subscription which is worth checking out once you have decided on the VPN provider.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
this has been asked this many times, there is a question regarding why you want to use VPN.

If you are after anonymity then some of the VPN providers won't give you that. some log your activity as required by the law of the land that the company registered at, some log certain about of activity such as bandwidth usage etc still quite anonymous. But critically you need to consider where the service provider are based. For instance PIA is american, so if the american supreme court issues some kind of subpoena to hand over details of user activity then they have to comply. so you need to consider these factors.

so have a look at this https://thatoneprivacysite.net/vpn-comparison-chart/

then there is the performance which you can probably trial out with all of the VPN providers and see which one is good for you.

lastly cost. there are offers - stack social has some life time subscription which is worth checking out once you have decided on the VPN provider.

Thanks for the advice and the recommended VPN's.

I'm not too bothered about Governent snooping as I'm not doing anything dodgy ;)

My main concern is wifi hotspots, primarily when I'm travelling but also when using my work mobile hotspot tethering.

Associate
My main concern is wifi hotspots, primarily when I'm travelling but also when using my work mobile hotspot tethering.

Then why don't you set up your own VPN server.

I run one off my Synology NAS, others support this. Or you could set one up with a raspberry pi.

I tunnel most of my traffic when out mobile though my home network, also it's usfull if you need access to something on your LAN.

TunnelBear is also a good free option (500mb / month)

Associate
OP
Then why don't you set up your own VPN server.

I run one off my Synology NAS, others support this. Or you could set one up with a raspberry pi.

I tunnel most of my traffic when out mobile though my home network, also it's usfull if you need access to something on your LAN.

TunnelBear is also a good free option (500mb / month)

I'm not that tech savvy I'm afraid. Just need something cheap and simple.

Associate
There are loads of guides out there for the Pi, and it's a one off cost.

If you have a NAS (and you really should), most consumer units support Open VPN or other protocols. It took like 10mins to set up and test on my Synology, most of that time was generating good passphrase (easy with LastPass) and dealing with some of the quirks of my IPhone.

If you want a no hassle option TunnelBear is free with a limit of 500mb per month. You can pay for unlimited and I don't think the cost is too high.

Soldato
tunnelbear is pretty decent and it is free on iOS so you should have a look. otherwise go for PureVPN - life time subscription $69 on stack social can't beat the value. There are some reported issues with performance on this forum and others. but I think you can trial out their servers as well.

My personal preference is NordVPN. but they don't have any UK server that supports P2P which is a bit of a pain - ie I have to install another server certificate etc on my router to get a server that supports P2P just not ideal.

Associate
OP
I thought I'd resurrect this thread as I'm looking to get a VPN in the next couple of days.

What are the best services at the moment?

Back
Top Bottom