Spec me a wheelset (or even just a rear wheel)

Soldato
My Carrera Zelos needs new wheels! It's a 14 speed roadie. I've been told Hunt wheels would be the best to get. But would it accommodate a 7 speed freewheel? Or can anyone recommend something similar to the Hunts that also accommodate 7 speed freewheel? Whilst the Hunt wheels are pricey for me, I might be able to work towards that budget of around £320. It's called convincing the other half! :D

Stock wheels on the bike is not able to cope with my size and weight and two spokes have come off. Rather than risk more spokes coming off at a later date (bike is in with Halfords getting spokes replaced), looks like I need to invest in a decent set of wheels! It must be a rim brake wheel as well!

Many thanks!

Oh and this is me with said bike before heading off to do a 64-miler on the Cyclone back in July!

RYgDNbVgjbGWwtzt2ub0e_fwlwBlDZ5ayXVdpARV3ugW-tJxUVzGjIibOPYSg_Zfa3zH6ExpgDWCKDFOCwiMjJY1LpMSG75_Nqr0pf0ms_ZbQjWLxYCNBEAyfd2PJkAulF_UKpUt9TClIAHxbYi1TAlzGUAsfppwv2Om1iGEjmVdVmuNVAjyJKLXCLyKRh97gRaRrfg4qDfd3G2pda8JLP7JA8DUPm6TuO7ldlP8Jfv0UiNvluGm4h0MBtobcfczwlDa-06EWeO82QqK0N6_uTSUEvpJEes_6WFNBqnTuKN3zZbIH6dGf9Cr_HZRvRdgXB-zX02b_jR9fs2muvzxvp0r_8DxJOAKkPaDcvj2IQNQI3-367BiRydEzkph4wNJgoLx-ACXSch4diVp9lgPg5KqpntBOHGUWmmFYiXZW-wm2SHAiy4Qv56vkefP3FMvzxcda2oPQR9-XZopt6cX_o3cC-LI35Y13bi3HyCgsKHe7fBuIIOybpPwryim8-7mAPTOuXWYML7Mpd1n_YaSZ8PXUV4SiPu5ESKDbV_G7UvmoPY7wF1Za8eiwpBib1ahkw5m1Hh688xZBe6OxWC_w1rsnOiP_Pp5utQ9luJTtoaOv_Pb0Ki2_sjEzizpxetruaRh4A8v1sYPSYNbeB9cPhTexCmS_hsrH3G4PQzvPUm4v3p4hf1XOJ4=w750-h937-no

Soldato
You can get any wheels and fit a 7 speed cassette to them to do away with the freewheel setup you have at the moment. Cassette style is stronger and means you can access better wheels.

For that sort of budget you could get a local wheel builder to build some strong wheels with durable rims rather than factory build wheels.

Soldato
The lower end Hunt wheels are good value for money at the moment components like hubs/spoke have went up in price recently. The alloy Hunts use ******** hubs and Kinline rims rim builders like DCR charge around £400 for a set of these it's only when you get up to the more expensive rims going to a wheel builder can build wheels with better components for the money. Even then if you want DT240 hubs these have almost doubled in price over the last few months yet the DT Swiss wheelsets with them have been dropping in price.

Soldato
If they are factory built wheels that might be your problem, I. E. The spokes weren't properly tensioned.

How much do you weigh? Was it a 28 or 32 spoke wheel? A properly tensiioned/set up wheel set will take a lot of hammer, even if it's a fairly budjet set.

Soldato
OP
If they are factory built wheels that might be your problem, I. E. The spokes weren't properly tensioned.

How much do you weigh? Was it a 28 or 32 spoke wheel? A properly tensiioned/set up wheel set will take a lot of hammer, even if it's a fairly budjet set.

I haven't weighed myself in years! But I am not far off the 15st mark I think. I ended up buying a rear wheel from a bike shop in town (I live in Newcastle Upon Tyne) for £50 as the stock one started to show signs of spokes losing tension even after two spokes were replaced.

However, I have another issue regarding the rear mech of which I will probably make a post on soon!

Thanks for your suggestions on wheels, the one that's been replaced is proving to be good so far. I am hoping to purchase a new bike in the new year with better components and whatnot.

Back
Top Bottom